There are newer employer reviews for Alliance Data

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Collector  in  Whitehall, OH
Former Employee - Collector in Whitehall, OH

I worked at Alliance Data full-time

Pros

Lots of money to be made in collections

Cons

Over time is expected there

106 Other Employee Reviews for Alliance Data (View Most Recent)

Working at Alliance Data

Current Employee - Senior Credit Risk Analyst  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Risk Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good overall work-life balance, easy visibility to senior management, ability to shift departments, benefits of being in a growing company, with a great health benefits plan and 401k matching plan

Cons

Working here can sometimes become very slow, stagnant and frustrating. Not a very diverse company to work for.

It could be better

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay and benefits are great!

Cons

Cons: Where to begin… If you are a new leader in this company be prepared to not only be scrutinized but be prepared to defend your every move. I have seen a lot of good leaders come and go throughout my two years here. Usually the reason they leave has something to do with the “Culture” that they try to keep in place but it is to their own detriment. There are A LOT of new leaders in this organization and you ARE NOT welcomed by the ones that have been around for 15+ years. You are seen as a threat to them and you will not be welcomed into the group. It is sad really, there are a lot of great leaders here that need to be unleashed. Also, the Senior leadership is so far disconnected from the rest of the company that it is almost sad. The Executive Committee has ZERO clue about what people think about things because those just below them are afraid to share for fear of being seen as “the deliverer of bad news”. This is an extremely PC company. You must watch your every word at all times and you can trust nobody! Even those that you think you can trust you can not. Especially if they are from the “Old Guard”.
    As a new leader you will have surveys sent out to everyone about your leadership style on a pretty consistent basis which would be fine if the data collected was used with positive intentions, however time and again you see it used as a weapon to make you feel bad and feel like you can never do anything right. You will also have leader assimilations done on you that are really a big giant “lets complain about our boss” session and no real good comes out of it. As a leader you are not truly free to lead. You are free to lead under the scrutiny of your senior leadership. It is nearly impossible to fire an exempt employee in this company as well. I do not mean your leadership, managers come and go because those in power are threatened. However if you have an underperforming employee you are literally forced to work with that person, develop them, work with them and help them to get better and it can be a very, very long process. All the while your results are suffering and you can do NOTHING to get rid of them. I guess that is good and bad but it is frustrating.
    Money is also a huge issue. Budgets are planned out for one plan and then plans change with no increase in funding. Another frustration!

Give your new leaders a chance to perform. Reign in your old managers and force them to collaborate or leave. I realize that the surveys and assimilations were started with good intent but they have been used and continue to be used as a weapon. Good leaders do not fear the new talent they embrace it and this is not what is happening. Also, Yes Ed Heffernan is great but the Executive Committee and Seinor Leaders have made this guy almost godlike. He is a normal down to earth guy who they worship as some sort of cult figure. I guarantee you can have a normal talk with this guy so take your noses out of his behind and make things happen. He seems reasonable and I am quite sure if you talk to him and not kiss his butt you might get a lot further. It has just become strange!

There are newer employer reviews for Alliance Data

Worked for Alliance Data? Contribute to the Community!