There are newer employer reviews for Alliance One

Ok place to work

I worked at Alliance One

Pros

competitive salaries and benefits. Family type culture. Lots of great people.

Cons

Sr. Leadership needs to be leaders - company feels like its floundering

Make decisions, execute, and most importantly communicate with all of the workforce. Stop playing in silos

11 Other Employee Reviews for Alliance One (View Most Recent)

A lot of ups and Downs.

I worked at Alliance One

Pros

Some of the people I worked with are very nice and helpful. I loved the job I did.

Cons

Some of the people I worked for really need to retire. No clue as to what it takes to get the job done. I understand you need to keep your customers satisfied, but you really need to back your employees.

There are some management that seems to do anything to make their own employees jobs more difficult and really need to look out for your own employees needs on the job.

It ain't what it used to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmville, NC

I have been working at Alliance One full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a fairly casual work environment, jeans-Friday, quarterly luncheons, good benefits, very flexible with time off for doctor or other appointments. We have the latest in computer technology and equipment, good systems, and everyone works well together.

Cons

The same people always seem to get the promotions. There is no succession planning. Some of the bosses are real jerks. There is very little opportunity for training in something new as they say it has to relate to your current position. They do support tuition reimbursement though. Bonuses that once paid in the 24% range now pay in the 5% range, if you are lucky and they never update you on where you stand versus target-stretch so they don't have to pay when the time comes. There have been several restructurings in the last few years as they do away with almost entire departments (SOX, Internal Audit). With FY14's $87MM loss attributable to farmer bad debt/loans (many wonder if these are real and if some people aren't just lining their pockets) many senior folks are being shown the door under the guise of retirement. It's not the same company I went to work for many years ago. The company is starting to look into new ventures (E-liquids) but I'm afraid it's a little too late to diversify.

It's time for management that's been there longer than 15 years to move on.

There are newer employer reviews for Alliance One