Alliance for a Healthier Generation

www.healthiergeneration.org
  www.healthiergeneration.org
There are newer employer reviews for Alliance for a Healthier Generation

Overall good place to work

I have been working at Alliance for a Healthier Generation

Pros

The organization has a fantastic mission. We focus on making real change. I am surrounded by really talented individuals. We have several content experts and Initiative Directors who are some of the best in their fields.

Cons

Our structure is somewhat complicated. Must of us work remotely, so most employees do not get that sense of being a part of something bigger. Lots of conference calls. Employees are not empowered to make decisions.

1. The organization needs to be more active in building real partnerships with other organizations.
2. The Executive Director and Initiative Directors need to give more authority to their staff.
3. Support education and training for employees. We need to stay current and improve areas that we are not strong in. I look around and I see some of the most talented people I know. They got that way because of past experience and training. Why have we stopped training our people. A stipend of $100 per year for training and education is worthless.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Alliance for a Healthier Generation (View Most Recent)

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Alliance for a Healthier Generation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work, treated as a professional, valued for your initiative and ideas, recognized for your input and contribution and your part of the team. For a non-profit, they do pay well and offer great benefits and work life balance. That can become iffy if you have a position which requires a lot of travel, but they truly do try to promote a healthy work/life balance and positive work culture.

Cons

Biggest challenge would be for those who are not self starters. You often work in a virtual/home environment so you must be disciplined and a self motivated professional. The biggest downside is lack of ability to advance in your career. There are workgroup opportunities to broaden your scope and each person does have a professional development plan but the make up of the organization does not allow for many opportunities to advance or become promoted.

Continue recognizing professional contributions and hiring well. Continue to offer professional development opportunities for growth. They do a great job and contribute attention to detail of organizational culture. Look for ways to keep your best talent.

Pretty decent company to work for.

I have been working at Alliance for a Healthier Generation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work/life balance--the work life balance is a huge asset, and a big reason I've stuck with this company! I've not worked for a company so flexible before. Positive work culture in general, decent healthcare benefits, everyone is always very nice, welcoming, and accommodating to needs. Great work for a mid-level career-the variety of tasks and experiences you receive in the field positions will assist your own personal professional development in your community. Excellent CEO and Senior Leadership-motivating people who keep the mission inline, but are also extremely down to earth.

Cons

Funding for some initiatives is currently up in the air. Also, salary is set on a national level, so if you work in a city that requires a higher salary for a standard of living, you're receiving the same pay as someone who lives in a city with a lower average standard of living--specifically this affects field positions, since some of these positions are geographically specific to cities. Some field positions start at a higher salary position than other field positions, depending on the department, and the workload is the same between those positions. There isn't enough autonomy in positions to take the work further--as a national non-profit running through a corporate model, everything from marketing to grant writing goes through those departments, and so its difficult to leverage the work in your geographic area without being able to do those things yourself. The biggest con is the lack of movement within the organization. There are very few opportunities to move up in positions. I don't recommend this non-profit to a mid-level career person with the orientation to move into a more senior level role within a few years of work with this organization. Workload within some of the national positions in various departments seems disproportionate: Some positions, especially program management positions seem to have way too much on their plate all the time, while other national positions, their titles make no sense and it seems like they are doing very little to progress the work on a national level. There is very little feedback in your work performance, professional development opportunities are limited. It is really difficult to tell if you are performing up to normal expectations---the yearly employee performance review is based on "self reflection", and tends to not be helpful.

Supervisors display inconsistency in leadership qualities, work norms, and roles--specifically supervisors who are supervising field positions, and some supervisors seem less skilled in supervision than others--in the past they have tended to promote internally as well to employees with seniority who may not necessarily have the skills to supervise. I could see this is something that might change. Communication techniques in some departments are passive--It can be difficult to gain an understanding of your expectations, get feedback from your supervisor, and it becomes easy to feel confused about where to take your role. The way employees are terminated is extremely awkward for the rest of the team that person worked within. There is no follow up or team building following those exits, and it really causes a team to become stressed, unfocused, and de-motivated in the work.

There are newer employer reviews for Alliance for a Healthier Generation

Worked for Alliance for a Healthier Generation? Contribute to the Community!