AllianceBernstein

www.alliancebernstein.com
  www.alliancebernstein.com
There are newer employer reviews for AllianceBernstein

Bureaucratic and old-fashioned, but hours are reasonable for a Wall Street job

Current Employee - Vice President, Fixed Income Technology in New York, NY
Current Employee - Vice President, Fixed Income Technology in New York, NY

I have been working at AllianceBernstein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at 2 major investment banksand 2 hedge funds. AllianceBernstein has the best hours, fairly nice offices, a great cafeteria, and a fairly relaxed atmosphere. Managers don't yell and tend not to make unreasonable demands.

Cons

I find my colleagues the least capable of the places I've worked. One or two are probably of average intelligence, which is pretty dumb by New York banking standards. Simple tasks require extensive explanations, and even then they have difficulty. There is hardly any career development. The firm offers some training, but it's quite limited. No career path is outlined, not just for me but for anyone I've talked to. My boss lies somewhat often, but his boss seems honest as far as I can tell. It takes forever for projects to be completed, mostly because IT has low standing and investment managers can't bother to approve our work, even if they need it. Bureaucracy isn't awful, but it's more entrenched than it should be. Doing a good job is valued much less than towing the course.

Include career development as a company goal; it would boost employee morale. Pay better.

213 Other Employee Reviews for AllianceBernstein (View Most Recent)

Horrible Fit

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at AllianceBernstein as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Location
    Wide-spread Age Demographic
    Somewhat Intelligent and Personable People

Cons

Horrible Feedback Giving Culture
    Lack of Diversity
    Disjointed Culture
    Teamwork / Collaborative culture is fake

AllianceBernstein provided me with invaluable accounting/reporting experience in the mutual funds industry.

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at AllianceBernstein full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company offers opportunities for career growth and exposure to most aspect of the business. There is a team environment and most managers/ supervisors are usually available to offer guidance to staff Employees are kept updated on developments within the organization. Company provides employees with online educational resources to increase industry/product knowlege. Good benefits package.

Cons

Inequitable compensation system; compensation is not awarded fairly. There is perceived subjectivity and favoritism as it regards performance evaluation and compensation. A panel of managers (not directly involved with staff) determine final evaluation of staff most times overriding the staff's direct manager's evaluation. Individuals who appear to be favorites of this team of managers are usually ranked higher than their less favorite/popular peers without merit.

Human Capital should ensure fair treatment and compensation of all employees. The performance evaluation system needs to be revamped to ensure that employees are fairly evaluated by their direct managers and 360 evaluation given more weighting in final evaluation to ensure employee's protection from career sabotage by others who for reasons other than professional, may seek to stifle an individual's career/professional growth.

There are newer employer reviews for AllianceBernstein