There are newer employer reviews for Alliant Techsystems

This company was great to work for; I felt I was very fairly compensated and treated very well.

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Brigham City, UT
Former Employee - Design Engineer in Brigham City, UT

I worked at Alliant Techsystems

Pros

* Opportunity to work on the Shuttle program
* Opportunity to travel
* Opportunity to perform research projects and get published
* Fair and honest feedback by immediate supervision

Cons

* Lack of planning by upper management for long term viability of the company
* Upward mobility of technically-oriented employees was fairly limited compared to management-oriented employees; advertised to be the same within the company

Have a better long-term view of what's on the horizon by continuing to foster and pursue innovation

158 Other Employee Reviews for Alliant Techsystems (View Most Recent)

Old-school but trying to catch up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brigham City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brigham City, UT

I worked at Alliant Techsystems

Pros

Probably the best reason to work here is the people. All of the individual contributors that I worked with were very smart and knowledgeable. My immediate management was also quite good. Very supportive and competent. Above my immediate management there were also many talented people, but it was not as consistent throughout the ranks, in my opinion.

Cons

I had several complaints working at ATK. The first is the long commute, as the plant is located in an unpopulated area that is far from any significant population center. The second is the strong resistance to change. I understand that you can't go changing things willy-nilly, but the place was run much like it was in the 1980s. They are starting to realize that they need to be more efficient and progressive, but they're in for a painful transition. Finally, there seemed to be either a lack of or a breakdown in leadership that led to some management issues (e.g. demanding the completion of non value-added tasks, denying the ability to change schedules to reflect reality, etc.).

In general, it seems as though the division needs a hands-on leader with a vision and a plan to make them competitive again.

Good company, but too many changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Alliant Techsystems

Pros

The company really cared about thier employees. Took the extra mile to provide resources that exceeded the need to make a buck.

Cons

The ongoing change of management.

Listen the employees before making drastic changes.

There are newer employer reviews for Alliant Techsystems