There are newer employer reviews for Allianz Life

Overall good environment, but so-so experience

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allianz Life as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Well-structured intern program with ample experience to learn and interact with full-time coworkers.

Cons

Time contraints with my manager resulted in a lack of direction at many times (but I think this was not typical of other intern experiences).

Make sure all of the interns get regular direction and contact with managers.

82 Other Employee Reviews for Allianz Life (View Most Recent)

A Pretty Mixed Bag At Best

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allianz Life as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great Location
    Good Pay
    Fun Summer Activities
    Nice Cafeteria and Food Options
    Fun Overall Atmosphere
    Very Thorough Orientation
    Some Opportunity for Personal Growth

Cons

Anyone who wants to be an actuarial intern here should be prepared for an unreasonably intense, political battle royale for a full-time offer. Many managers here have high egos and can't resist talking about how much better they are at Allianz than their competitors. One of the hiring managers is really awkward and you'll know who I'm talking about when you meet him. Some of the managers act as though they don't want to be dealing with an intern. Good luck getting an offer if you have a manager like that. As for the actual work itself, basically you are an overpaid computer programmer not really doing anything actuarial or learning anything other than automation in VBA, so have fun describing your "actuarial" experience in your interviews with other companies when you don't get an offer here because you didn't play their politics and actually wanted to get work done and develop yourself instead.

Ditch the hostile, overly competitive atmosphere, and instead create one that promotes learning and growth. Ensure that the managers have good social skills because if they don't have them, they shouldn't manage anybody. Make sure the actuarial interns do more actuarial work than technical work. Also, I think that upper management does a great job, it's the actuarial managers that contributed to the weaknesses of my experience.

Marketing Analyst

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allianz Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits. Great personal/professional development. Free parking. 40% off of food. Fantastic 401(k) benefit

Cons

Current management structure is a constant change. Employees feel unstable. Managers give unclear direction and have no plan to set their employees for success.

Nothing. I'm not sure it'll be helpful anyway.

There are newer employer reviews for Allianz Life