Work hard, Play Hard

Current Employee - Content Producer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Content Producer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allrecipes.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of investment in culture & workplace perks (staff meals, shuffleboard table, kegerator, good coffee). Excellent location - right in the heart of downtown Seattle. Great investment in research, usability and surveys to inform decisions and priorities. No laptops at meetings - everyone is present and attentive. Leadership is frank, honest and open in addressing complaints, concerns, questions, and suggestions. People put their heads down and work hard, but take time to acknowledge and celebrate successes. Great benefits: 3 weeks vacation, week off between Xmas and New Years, 14 paid holidays, medical/dental/vision, bonuses, Orca transit car, matching 401K, charitable donation matching.

Cons

There can be a bit of a disconnect between those building the product and those supporting it. Open-office layout can be distracting.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Allrecipes, a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allrecipes.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The President (Lisa Sharples) has created a great culture Business is fantastic Best location ever Beautiful interior space Benefits & perks that go on & on Friendly, foodie co-workers Awesome work/life balance Our new parent company (Meredith) is extremely supportive

Cons

Nothing worth noting from my point of view!

Advice to Management

Leadership team should hire the best of the best for superior succession planning. Don't be afraid to hire people who are smarter than you. Provide mandatory management training for people managers. Give leaders every opportunity to succeed, but release them if they don't perform. Retain small-biz culture while embracing some grown-up changes.

2. An Amazing Place To Work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allrecipes.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolute dedication to work/life balance. Core values actually mean something and are practiced every day. Relaxed environment were the staff is encouraged to get up from their desks and talk to each other. Employees are truly valued, put first and treated with respect. Office location (Westlake Park!). We actually have a role called "Culture Coordinator" to ensure we stay true to our core values.

Cons

Pace is slower and more deliberate (which can be good) and can be frustrating on occasion. Some employees take advantage of the perks and don't always carry their weight.