There are newer employer reviews for Allscripts

Eclipsys headed in right direction for long term

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Allscripts

Pros

Hires excellent employees who are intelligent and competent

Cons

demanding clients who expect company to change direction to detriment of staff

manage client expectations so that staff is not treated negatively to appease unrealistic client expectations

416 Other Employee Reviews for Allscripts (View Most Recent)

Just another brick in the wall

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Good work life balance, flexible schedule, one of the better places to work in Healthcare IT sector as far as technology is concerned. Pay package is better than most in the region. Good benefits.

Cons

Too much focus on India, no product vison what so ever, ultra complacent management hierarchy, except for some top managers most have no drive, vision or ability to inspire. Limited room for growth as all growth is expected to be India. Not a very dynamic or a vibrant environment that fosters creativity

Somebody ask the middle and senior management to pull up their socks. Just because everyone in the industry is producing bad software and is behind schedule, doesn't mean that you guys have to follow the lead.

Good technology Poor Management

Former Employee - Developer  in  Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Developer in Malvern, PA

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Eclipsys is a good place to work if you want to get a background in health care IT. They provide good training for their employees. There technology is satisfactory and their infrastructure is solid. There are some extremely talented people on the technology side of the business.

The Quality Assurance people are extraordinary. I actually find myself frustrated working with other QA people now because the QA group at Eclipsys was so thorough also when a QA person wrote a ticket, it was extremely detailed to the point that I knew exactly how to replicate the error.

Technology wise Eclipsys was a good place to work. I got hands on experience with great technology.

Cons

There really is no opportunity for advancement at Eclipsys. The managers and leads are in place and you can only move up when someone above you leaves. Also lateral movement is difficult (moving to another group) if you have expertise in your particular area.

Also middle management can be a problem. In my case my manager was not as technically adept as the senior engineers on his team. This is not a fatal flaw except he would refuse to defer to the judgment of his senior people. Anything he didn't understand was rejected as being "too complex".

Also the engineers were made to work on the project not to complete, but to demo. This meant a lot of hard coding of data, kludgey fixes and overall bad practices that we would have to fix. Hopefully we were able to correct the problems the first demo caused before the next demo rolled around.

I do have to mention that this is one individual, but his management has caused several projects to fail and he's still in the same position.

Implement a 360 review process and pay attention to the results. I tried to escalate problems with my direct manager several times, but was blocked from doing so by his manager. I felt I had no voice.

There are newer employer reviews for Allscripts

Worked for Allscripts? Contribute to the Community!