Allstate

Company is struggling

Current Employee - Analyst in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Analyst in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Allstate has a strong culture of respect and diversity, generally respecting work/life balance. It's a big company with lots of data and databases to work with - provided lots of ways to apply yourself.. There are a lot of "good" people who work here - and that matters. Autonomy to pursue ideas especially if you are self-motivated and curious. This can be a negative if there's not a level of self-drive to understand the business. I've been fortunate to get experience in many different areas of the company. I feel like it gives me a good perspective of the business.

Cons

The business model is failing and the company is currently having a difficult time adapting. Stated growth objectives do not always align with company actions - can leave employees confused about true goals. Objectives and goals seem to change and even reverse rapidly. The company has a tendency to want to "spin" excessively. Company struggles at any true organic growth, and efforts to grow are causing ongoing bad decisions. High leadership turnover recently has left me increasingly feeling disconnected from the company - amputated. I used to feel much more connected but can't seem to get on the same wavelength as current leadership and it leaves me feeling less useful as an employee. There is concern that me or my department is not in the future plans any longer.

I don't know. I'm very concerned for the future. I have my strategic opinions, but in general I feel our business model is broken. If we can't grow, let's figure out what we can do and do it well. Agency channel is probably best run as a cash cow - all efforts to grow it have failed - and seemingly have deteriorated the quality of book at the same time. Let's realize Agency channel is no longer a growth channel. The consumer is changing. Funnel cash generated to areas like direct that have growth potential (the recent e-surance acquisition makes sense to me directionally) and/or use excess funds to create value by buying back shares/increasing dividend. And we're too complacent about telematics - we need to be out in front creating adverse selection in the marketplace instead of being susceptible to it.

1376 Other Employee Reviews for Allstate (View Most Recent)

Used to be a good place, but focus on profit payout to shareholders is driving everything downhill.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Good opportunities as entry level into various areas. Allstate allows employees to learn different aspects of the business, with opportunities building on prior experience. Flexible with time, decent benefits.

Cons

Over the last few years, a lot of decisions have been made by senior management, with all intermediate levels of management basically doing what they are told, and not speaking up for what is in the company's best interests. Focus is on payout of profits to shareholders. Average merit increase of employees at 1.8%. Managers get changed around about every 12-18 months, and they typically don't have any experience/knowledge of the areas they now manage. Recently, management has made significant changes to a number of employees' careers, exercising "Employment at Will laws, and basically TELLING the employee to change to a different job position, rather than ASKING them to.

Put people with knowledge in positions of leadership. Don't keep moving them around because you think you are helping them to develop. Pay your employees what they are worth, and get rid of the ineffective ones. Don't determine how much you are going to pay out to stockholders, and then say "here's what's left to pay the bills"....pay the bills first! Retain employees with knowledge of the business - it's the employee with diversity of experience that offers the most value.

great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

it was one of the best jobs i ever had being that i was a college student, excellent benefits there!

Cons

the pay wasnt that well, and didnt like the hours and had to work on holidays since it was an call center

i would say provide more feedback to your employees and everybody work as a team, at the end of the day thats whats important

There are newer employer reviews for Allstate