There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

A company at a crossroads

Current Employee - Agency Owner in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Agency Owner in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

They are agressive at managing their risks which makes them more financially stable, in the long run, than many of the other property casualty insurers. They seem to have an idea of where they want to be positionsed for the future. They are strongly encouraging their strongest agents to grow.

Cons

Because of their conservative nature it causes them to struggle on the pricing side and while other companies are buying business Allstate refuses to play that game. It means that you have to be able to sell service and unique products instead of price. This becomes difficult to do under current situations. They continue to push the costs on the agency force without offering more competitive products or additional compensation.

Advice to Management

If you continue to increase costs for your "business owners" without increasing rewards you will not find new "business owners." Risk vs Reward you should know well from being in the risk management business.

reviews filtered by
  1. Allstate is what you make it

Current Employee - Agency Sales Producer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Agency Sales Producer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Like many producers, I work for an independently owned agency. My time is my own, as long as my numbers are where they should be. My office is very much family focused. I get an ample amount of vacation, sick pay, 401K and a lot of other benefits not supplied by most independent agencies.

Cons

Allstate itself has a tendency to roll out a new product without first getting the bugs out of it. We tend to have to work through some of the hassle as we write the product, when that should not be happening.

Advice to Management

Listen to your support staff, they are the front line in the agencies.

Out of touch, Panic Mode!

Current Employee - Agency Owner in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Agency Owner in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

You are your own boss, freedom to work as long as you want make as much as you want

Cons

Management is clueless, they have no backbone or spine I guess this goes with the territory these days they are all just hanging onto their jobs I guess. Allstate does not listen to agents, they have advisory boards but they are a decoy. There is an actual Association of Allstate agents that is productive, but carries little weight with the suits.

Advice to Management

Get out from behind the desk and sell a policy, or service a customer get intouch with the consumer...come down out of your ivory tower. Streemline your offerings, quit trying to be everything to the high income responsible consumer....help people with insurance. Quote several policies and see how screwed up the rating factors are. Do an endorsement and see what happens. check rates from state to state. Know what increases in premiums are around the country within Allstate. Do you understand that with the competition these days once you loose a customer, they will not come back.