Spectacular

Former Intern - Software Engineer/Innovation Intern in Northbrook, IL
Former Intern - Software Engineer/Innovation Intern in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a summer intern at Allstate proved to be a very rewarding experience that I would gladly recommend to anyone interested. I was a bit nervous going in at first (it is just an insurance company, after all), but after the first week I realized how great of a place it would be. My boss was very approachable, my work was real and meaningful, and the atmosphere itself was just laid-back enough to allow me to not dread coming in every morning. In fact, I can almost say I was excited to go back every day.

Cons

Hard to name any, other than some lame intern events

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Hands for training

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a wonderful place for development and leadership training.

Cons

Lacks race and gender diversity at the senior levels

Advice to Management

Need to understand your customer base

2. Do your Due Diligence before opening an Allstate Agency

Former Employee - Agency Owner in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Agency Owner in Boise, ID

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company catagorizes it's agents as "Independent Contractors," or business owners. It is a good learning experience if you strive to be an entreprenuer. Each agency is responsible for hiring, training, and paying their staff (if approved by Home Office.) Highly recommend selling
    Allstate as an Independent Agent, not as an Exclusive Agent.

Cons

Allstate sets very high agent premium expectations, and if not met, they can terminate your contract. They classify their agents as Independent Contracts, but it only for their financial benefit. Agents can only sell Allstate Products, they own all the policies, if you decide to sell your agency-they have to approve it, they have you sign a 2 yr non-compete contract, they own your phone lines, and they can terminate your contract at anytime. They will hire just about anyone because they are not investing any money, if hired you have to invest your money and sign leases. If they terminate your contract, your still responsible for lease and due to the contract you can not open another agency for 2 years.

Advice to Management

Stop lowereing commissions and increasing production requirements. Let the agency owners "run" their own business, or classify them as employees. Stop requiring "life insurance, annuity, and variable annuity" premium production as a means to terminate agents contracts. Let agencies own their own phone lines.