There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Most stressful years of my life

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Rochester, NY
Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Rochester, NY

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I started the people who worked there were of very high quality character and were very professional. The training wasn't bad for a company of its size. Good amount of vacation time.

Cons

The work was the most stressful job I've ever had. It's bad enough to deal with angry people on the phone all day, but to be constantly held to unrealistic measurements internally and generally treated like a number by management just put it over the top as unbearable. Long hours because they do not keep the offices properly staffed for the amount of work that comes in. If you tried to discuss ways to make the company better, you could be sure to hear "If you don't like it here you're free to leave anytime". Glad I took that advice.

Advice to Management

I was a good employee, I won the distinguished performance award a couple times. Even I felt like I wasn't appreciated because of the horrible way many of my coworkers were treated by management above the local office. Forcing out good workers because they made too much money and replacing them with seemingly anyone who applied was enough proof that no matter how good I was doing, my time would come and I'd be treated the same way.

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

Legacy Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much unless you're the follower type. Or if you're the type who finds comfort in working for a very big company. Or if you have sycophant tendencies, then this might be the place for your career.

Cons

Suffocating corporate culture. Preach a lot of politically correct sounding nonsense, when they really don't. Plagued with the usual problems a big corporation has... Slow moving and out-of-touch.

Advice to Management

There's nothing further to say.

Easily the worst boss I have ever seen, much less worked under

Former Contractor - User Experience Architect in Northbrook, IL
    Former Contractor - User Experience Architect in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Clear chain of command Nice campus that included a good gym and a good cafeteria Decent workspace

Cons

I hate to admonish an entire organization for the behavior of one supervisor, but the fact that this person was a lifelong "Allstater," and was allowed to persist in some of the most destructive managerial practices I have ever witnessed certainly speaks to the wisdom and judgment of their leadership as a whole. I watched on in horror numerous times as this person diminished and abused her underlings in at times almost comical fashion. But no one was laughing. Indeed, I walked out of a meeting in which she brought another woman I worked with to tears -- literally.

Advice to Management

Solicit feedback about superiors from not only FT Allstate staff but also contractors and take that feedback seriously. At least one of them is bringing contractors in to use as her own personal scratching posts.