There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Good Opportunity, Management will only help you for the first year

Current Employee - Exclusive Financial Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Exclusive Financial Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A good environment if you connect with the right people. The trips and incentives are great but it is a full commission based job. Their technology is finally catching up and supports the field well.

Cons

The management will work hard to help you succeed for the first year and then they will try and replace you. The best thing you can do is build strong relationships and be successful selling. Don't expect any help after they get paid for your one year start up.

Advice to Management

I think it would be wise to create an environment that supports your long term growth. It's easy to create quick sales but the difficult thing is creating a system that creates consistent sales, I wish that I saw more support for long term processes.

reviews filtered by

I am a newer employee and my experience has been great so far.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many employees come and stay; it is not an environment that promotes high turnover; good recognition with departments (at least in mine); potential for career movement; inclusive culture

Cons

Because so many people take a long time to leave the company movement can sometimes seem stalled. Health insurance cost could be lower when compared to some other companies; it seems for an insurance company the employees would get better discounts on the actual insurance

Advice to Management

Increase the employee discount; continue with the culture change; find ways to become more competitive cost wise

2. Years ago it was a good place to work, now it can only provide a recognizable company name on a resume.

Former Employee - IT - Whatever They Needed in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - IT - Whatever They Needed in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Allstate for 20 plus years and for the first 10 years it was a very good place to work. Initial pay, benifirs and raises "were" all very good. Also became exposed to many new technologies. Along with the other companies on my resume, Allstate is very recognizable so if you are a college "Fresh Out" consider Allstate as a starting point to get recognizable company names on your resume - but do not even consider making a career out of the place.

Cons

When Sears spun Allstate off as a separate company than leadership adopted a myopic view. Other than outsourcing work to foreign companies and annual RIFs there were no long term plans. Short term plans such as "Bigger, Broader, Better", "1st in 10", etc. were simply tactical busy work that were goals for less than a year before ReInsurance and Lincoln Life, and the Allstate Bank, were sold off. Agent workforce has been cut by 1/3 over the years and while at one point Allstate was a close second to State Farm they are now about half their size and about to be passed by Geico.