Sales Rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Margate, FL
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Margate, FL

I have been working at Allstate part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good base pay with commission.

Cons

Stressful at times and needs longer breaks

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Stay a Year or Two and Then Run Run Run....

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Training: Our office training was very good and is a solid intro to insurance claims. Once you reach the corporate training though, watch out. Like a lot of industry training, it is unrealistic and has no basis in the real world. *Benefits: They start on day one and the fact that they have a pension AND 401k is unique in any industry. My guess, the pension will be gone in 3 years.

Cons

*Benefits: Related to other claims jobs, you pay a much higher percent of benefit cost and it gets very expensive. They try to claim the vacation is great and it is, for the first year but they combine vacation and sick time so it looks like a lot but stacked up to other companies it is slightly below average. Finally, the 401k used to be great. They would match 50 cents to $1.50 for every dollar you contribute. They changed it 3 years ago an NO ONE (not even HR) really understands it. It is no longer based on profit, it is based on how they perform on some industry index that no one understands. You get paid between 25-50 cents on the dollar for the first 3 percent you contribute and then like 10-35 cents for the next 2 percent. I think I was matched about 35 cents on the dollar which is terrible. *Compensation: I think it starts at $38k a year which is good for a college grad. Raises, here are none. When there are, they are usually insulting. "Top performers" can expect 2.5 percent every other year or so. It's not even enough to keep up with inflation. They usually allow an offices salary to go up by 1.5 percent which means the average raise has to be 1.5 percent. Some people will get 2 percent. Most get 0. 99 percent of "promotions" are lateral meaning NO RAISE. If you go from handling non-injury claims to injury claims you get not a dollar more even though you take on twice the work. It's insane. There are no real bonuses or incentives other than your pay check. I won employee of the month several times and got a $5 gift card. *Micro-management: Most of the industry uses scripts but Allstate lives by them. If you deviate from the script at all (even if you get the wording wrong) and someone listens to your call, you will be told your performance is not satisfactory. They are taking administrative tasks like time keeping and stuff away from managers so they can spend more time micro-managing and coaching. They will record calls, track number of calls and how long and context does not matter to them. *No opportunities: Not one person was promoted to management at any point I was with Allstate. They are actually going down managers right now on purpose so don't think you can get promoted in 5-20 years because you won't. Be happy being an adjuster because that is all you ever will be. *Culture: They are going through "culture change" over the last two years. But no one can tell you what that means so they just label everything culture change. It's actually funny. They will change staples in the stapler and then let everyone know and call it culture change. They said they wanted to move the focus back to happy employees but they have done just the opposite. Our office turn over has jumped dramatically. They said they wanted to encourage movement outside of claims to get good people where they can do the most good but of the 10 people I know of who wanted to try to transfer, all were told no because they were needed too much in their current role. It is a catch-22. If you are great at your job, they won't let you transfer because they can't lose you. If you are bad at your job, they obviously won't let you transfer. My advice, be average and fly under the radar. *This is sort of culture/management: This is a typical example of the type of stuff they do. For 5 years they were pretty flexible with start times. You don't clock in or anything. If you were a few minutes late, no biggy. You just stayed a few minutes late to make up for it. No one abused it. Without warning, our office boss decides he is going to change that but he doesn't tell anyone. What he does do, he has a manager go through the phone log in time (which we were never required to log into right away) and the security log to see what time people swiped their key card (even though people always walked in together). If you swiped your key card more than 1 second after your start time, you were given an occurrence. He actually went back 6 months and handed out occurrences like they were going out of style. 90 percent of the office was written up. Just think about how many times in the last 6 months you have opened the door at work 1 second late. If that answer is more than 3, you are in big big trouble and being considered for termination.

Advice to Management

Customer service is the following: 75 percent process/policy. 15 percent training/competence. 10 percent HAPPY EMPLOYEES. You will never EVER get to the service results you want until you start making your employees happy.

2. Very good so far

Current Employee - Insurance Producer in Lake Orion, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Producer in Lake Orion, MI

I have been working at Allstate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to create your own salary/ceiling and there is a high maturity level in the office. Also, they are very patient and detailed in training you.

Cons

Wayyyyy too much testing and stress involved prior to even starting. Also expensive (paying for licensing course, state application etc.).

Advice to Management

No advice; just a pain getting started.