Allstate

www.allstate.com
  www.allstate.com
There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Not a bad place to work.

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, interaction with lots of clients.

Cons

Product availability is limited at times.

1306 Other Employee Reviews for Allstate (View Most Recent)

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amount of vacation (you will need it to stay sane)

Cons

The worst place I have ever worked!! Allstate takes micro management to a new level. I left the company for another and can safely say the grass is greener on the other side. If you have the opportunity to leave do it. It is a sinking ship.

Decent learning experience and eye-opening wastes of manpower (Updated 3/8/2014)

Former Employee - Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Allstate as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- You may find yourself doing some really unexpected tasks, but they will be fun. These will also help diversify your working knowledge and background for subsequent positions.
    - So much potential to just dive in and get to work on different projects and the R&D process.
    - At meetings or even the R&D sessions, you will feel like you are really making a difference.
    - Work contributions are taken seriously and implemented if they make sense and show positive results consistently.

Cons

- You may find yourself doing some really unexpected tasks or working on a project that clearly has no future in its current state.
    - Communication issues in teams. Supervisors have difficulty conveying accurate feedback. Sometimes will provide contradictory statements as feedback and expect you to know how to walk the line.
    - Because projects start so quickly, sometimes getting consumer insight is completely skipped, and when it is sought out, it is usually too late to stop anyway.
    - Controlling managers and supervisors will demand that work be done their way to the point that they may just reach over your shoulder and commandeer your keyboard.

Update:
    - Watch your finances with them. They hired a debt collection agency to come after me 6 months after the end of the internship to claim a debt. I have no idea what it was for since there are no details, but rather than let it damage my credit score, I just paid it in full and let their strong arm push me around. The only thing I can think of that this would be for would be for accidental overpay, so I am fine with returning the amount. But honestly, Allstate should be on top of this before it becomes a hassle for their employees.

Before embarking on huge projects or new products, consider pilot testing the idea with some focus groups. Having a focus group early in the process and then again part way through for fine tuning is fine, but you can't afford to just do one focus group right before release. And then pay attention to the data you get from these groups. You cannot afford to just blatantly disregard your consumer feedback because "you know they really like it even if they aren't saying it."

Update:
    Rather than looking into a debt collection agency to go after an intern for a mistake you made, contact the intern directly yourself. You have the contact info on file. Is it really that much of a hassle to speak directly to me? Or is it really just easier to provide a collection agency with all my info and set up a debt file? I would have gladly spoken to any financial worker at Allstate to sort this out (and so I have a better idea of what I am actually paying for).

As a result of this recent occurrence, I have to set my rating to 1 star. Debt claims and collection can have vast impacts on an intern during a time period when establishing and maintaining good credit is important. I sincerely hope you do not do this to any of your other interns. Unless things change, I would no longer recommend any internship with this company.

And one more important note, that I should have added earlier... Managers need to be solid communicators for their fellow workers. You can't afford to give a person feedback suggesting that we need to follow directions exactly as given then in the next breath give feedback suggesting that we exercise our own discretion on project editing rather than following directions exactly.

There are newer employer reviews for Allstate