Allstate

www.allstate.com
There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Claims Adjuster-Mixed Bag

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

-Good benefits, good amount of time PTO especially for newer people (you won't see many companies that start you off with the equivalent of 4+ weeks of PTO), CAT pay(equivalent to overtime for salaried employees), decent atmosphere, recognized for doing quality work.

Cons

-Claim volume varies. Sometimes when it's dead, you may just get 3 or 4 claims a day. When we have a catastrophe of some kind, we can get as many as 10 claims a day. 1 day, I got 15 claims in 1 day. When the claims come in bunches like that, it is very hard to keep up, and if you don't put the extra time in, you can easily get lost in the shuffle and get weeks behind. If you get majorly behind, it can take weeks if not months to catch yourself back up.
-You are never caught up. Even when you think you are good, something always happens, and falling behind is just part of the job.
-Management doesn't always understand what adjusters are having to deal with. There are always things on top of things that they require of us and don't realize that it takes away from the bottom line, which is to service the customer in a timely manner.
-Meetings=too many of them. Most meetings are pointless and only lead to adjusters falling further behind in their workload.
-Long hrs. Although you could work just 8-9 hr. days, you would fall very far behind and would spend 1/2 a year trying to catch back up. You are almost forced to work 10-12 hr. days to catch yourself up and keep yourself from falling behind. Luckily, CAT pay helps even out the need to work these long hrs.

-Hire more adjusters. Especially when you load balance claims from local offices across the country, we are still going to get a lot of claims, so why not hire some more adjusters to take some of the load off the current ones, which will help improve the customer experience by giving adjusters more time to focus on each customer.

Allstate Response

Mar 25, 2014Employment Team

Thank you for your review - we take this feedback very seriously. We have a lot of adjuster positions open right now - refer your friends! Some jobs offer a referral bonus to employees. Check out our ... More

1257 Other Employee Reviews for Allstate (View Most Recent)

So far so good

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities, good work/life balance

Cons

Growth opportunities require an advocate

Allstate Response

Mar 25, 2014Employment Team

Thanks for the review! If you're having trouble finding an advocate, many of our internal Employee Resource Groups offer mentoring programs that may help connect you with someone.

Not the opportunity promised

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love working with the customers. When it comes to claims, for the most part the company does stand behind their promise and offers fair settlements. Occasionally, as an agent, you will have to step in for the customer in regards to lack of or slow claim follow up or unfair settlement, but overall, that is rare.

Cons

Management still utilizes a Good Old Boy system, constantly playing favorites. More importantly, their favorites are themselves. They make poor businesses decisions for the company and for existing agents if it somehow improves their own situation. ie they will hire a new, inexperienced, and incompetent agent rather than give the proper support to existing agents who have run and won the never ending gauntlet of changing requirements. They do this because it makes it look like, for the moment, in the eyes of corporate that they are growing the region. The problem is the majority of these new agents do not make it, which is disruptive to both customers and existing agents who have to pick up the slack without compensation. Additionally, production requirements are constantly excessively increased while at the same time commission structure is decreased; something that was NOT disclosed when Allstate was courting me!

Be more selective in your new agent hires and protect the asset that is your existing agents before looking to hire new agents. Be honest to potential new candidates...they need to understand that the contract they sign with Allstate allows Allstate to change production requirements and compensation at will and that this is done annually.

There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!