There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Tough to manage the ups and downs with people but worth it when you're able to really help someone.

Current Employee - Producer in Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Producer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get started in, laid back environment for the most part

Cons

Angry customers .. a lot, pay was not as high as expected but still decent, hard to explain to customers why we keep taking rate increases.

Advice to Management

Since I am part of an exclusive agency and my highest bosses are the agents in the office, I would just ask for them to be in the office more often and be more available to customers. As far as corporate goes, I would say to stop guaranteeing rate reductions because every time they make a guarantee, it never goes through.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Sr mannger

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location of offices and brand recognition

Cons

Long hours and tacks in technology

2. Very Political Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very reasonable hours. Pay is not bad, but not great either. Did not experience unreasonable amount of pressure. Nature of work is exactly what I expected going in. Some smart, decent people (as you'd expect in such a large company). Generous with vacation days. Quite flexible in handling employees with major life events (like relocating, maternity, etc.) High job stability.

Cons

Out-of-date, corporate culture might work well for people who do not need independence, or creative opportunities, but true GenY-ers will not be happy here. Very political environment. People are always scheming to get ahead and sabotage your advancement. Many people are superficially friendly, but after working with them a while you'll realize they are actually very fake. Modesty will only set you up for attach. Work environment is a sea of sterile cubicles without any privacy. Workload comes and goes in waves, and there are times where there is actually nothing to do but you still have pressure to pretend to be busy. Lots of bureacracy. Things happen very slowly. People love to use corporate buzzwords. My stereotypes of corporate people were realized here. Hiring practices are arbitrary. High turnover rates among younger employees with talent, who can easily find higher paying jobs. Education and even prior experience do not seem to be given much weight, but tenure at the company and connections to management make all the difference. Hardly anyone actually lives in Northbrook because there is nothing there, so many people make long commutes.