Allstate

www.allstate.com
  www.allstate.com
There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Worked as a auto adjuster for fifteen years at Utah MCO's.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ten of my fifteen years on the job, I was treated well, hard decisions were supported by and large, and work environment was positive . I was trusted to get the job done. Ample vacation time, benefits.

Cons

Long hours, with being put in many difficult customer service situations. The quality of local management deteriorated during final years. Hard decisions were not supported, local managers went out of their way to find fault, and kept pressure up to and extent where quality of life becomes impossible to manage. Auto adjusters at Allstate are treated poorly, which sadly is becoming an industry standard.

Unit managers should have some experience doing some of the tasks that they ask of the people they manage. Most don't have any practical idea what job actually entails. Most managers are great at managing numbers and data, and their careers, but do poorly dealing with people. Managers are insulated from the havoc that they inflict on people's lives with their poor decisions, and not supporting their adjusters who have to enforce policy.

1270 Other Employee Reviews for Allstate (View Most Recent)

Okay

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Gives you a good background about how to work in a large company. Managers go out of their way to teach you how to do things the Allstate way. Company is a secure place to work, and you can balance your work and life if you put effort into it.

Cons

Decisions don't get made quickly, and they are often made at the top of the organization without input from lower level employees.

If you are going to bring in young employees and train them, listen to their ideas as well.

Work, work, work

Former Employee - Staff Claim Adjuster  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Staff Claim Adjuster in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Allstate's training is well-respected in the industry and benefits are good.

Cons

You are expected to work and work hard all of the time. Above and beyond is the expectation and not necessarily always rewarded. After 25yrs I was laid off, thank God, and the benefits going out the door were generous but I found that I had sacrificed too much of my life and my family suffered because I was always working or always on call to go to work. I expressed a concern about flying to a catastrophe location because there was still weather (hurricane) in the area and some flights were cancelled. I was told I should rent a car and drive. After that I was described as being afraid to fly! Management often has their head in hard to access places when it comes to assessing what their field staff is doing.

Never, never, never put someone in management who has not actually worked in that position. And, when staff expresses a concern about work conditions you need to actually listen. I submitted hard data showing discrepancies in workloads among field personnel in my region and was completely ignored. Not fair! And not conducive to good morale...working at Allstate is a big regret in my life. I should have left years ago!

There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!