Allstate

There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Great Place!

Current Employee - Underwriter Examiner Associate  in  Northbrook, IL
Current Employee - Underwriter Examiner Associate in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a great company value and they offer relaxing areas within the office.

Cons

Pay... I hate to say that they are not super competitive in most areas.

1282 Other Employee Reviews for Allstate (View Most Recent)

Great internship, with real hands on experience, and with an organization that has a friendly and casual environment.

Current Employee - Actuarial Intern  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Actuarial Intern in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate as an intern

Pros

Everyone I work with is very nice and very helpful. Allstate has a culture of being very friendly, casual, yet, productive. I really enjoy with the working environment here at Allstate. I also got a lot of first hand experience on real projects related to my career path.

Cons

Since Allstate is such a large organization, it is easy for interns to fall through the cracks, especially at the beginnnng.

Absolutely horrible employer that fails on every conceivable criteria.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Home Office in Northbrook is the country club with a strictly laid-back 9 to 5 hour work day because nobody cared about putting in extra effort to get ahead because it won't make any difference. Long coffee breaks in morning and afternoon and very long lunches, an hour or more as the multitudes leave for the restaurants or to catch a nooner. We used to go swimming and sunbathing in the summer. Nobody cared.

Cons

- Notorious for low pay, worst of all companies in the area.
    - No advancement. When potential promotion opportunity opens up they hire in from the outside.
    - Mundane, dreary, unchallenging clerical work that does not add to one's skills.
    - All employees considered expendable. Known as nothing more than a body shop.
    - Revolving door of capable people, the ones who stay are the otherwise unemployable drones, including managers and above.
    - Some offices are sweatshop: long grueling hours, salaried so no overtime, combined with low pay; while Home Office in Northbrook is the sleepy, lethargic country club
    - Bad attitudes pervade throughout entire company, especially among claims people who are evaluated on how low they can keep per-claim cost. I have had first hand experience with that as well.

If you have Allstate insurance, please don't hit my car.

There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!