There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

This is an ok place to work if you not looking to get promoted.

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Edison, NJ
Current Employee - Management Consultant in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Good work/life balance and great benefits. Vacation time was given based on time worked since graduation not based on time with the company-awesome benefit.

Cons

Management was very political. They did thing that were in their best interest not necessarily the moral thing or what was in the best interest of the agents.

Advice to Management

Start developing people based on their ability and not based on who's back is being scratched. There were many missed opportunities for excellent workers that management overlooked.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A top heavy company with no clear business plans.

Former Employee - Agent Owner in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Agent Owner in Seattle, WA

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Building client relationships ! New agent training.

Cons

Misguided senior management ! Agents don't get their expected results till quarter way thought the year !!!

Advice to Management

Don't fire a agent that is performing better than the company as a whole. Has anyone in the top ranks taken a single business class ??

Good place to work, if promotions are not important to you

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Good work/life balance, benefits are good, supportive of education/professional development, laid back work environment. If you have a good manager, life is good at Allstate. Your experience in the day-to-day work environment at Allstate will depend largely on the manager that you work for.

Cons

Promotions at the management level are political, salaries are not competitive especially if you stay with the company for a while, layoffs are getting ever more common. The risks associated with staying with Allstate for the long term are outweighing the benefits. Talented employees are seeing this and looking for the door after a few years. Experienced employees are putting their experience to work for competitors and other companies.

Advice to Management

This company desperately needs a strategy. Management in technical departments need to understand what their people are doing. My experience tells me that a handful of really bad Allstate managers are doing more to help Geico and Progressive beat Allstate than Flo or the Gekko could ever do! We keep waiting for Tom Wilson, Joe Lacher and the Cavalry to ride in and give us the golden strategy that will allow Allstate to double in size in the next 10 years. Where did the cavalry go? All that we are seeing are expense cuts and layoffs. No company grows only by cutting staff and expenses. Give us a plan that we can believe in and we have the motivation to run with it. Who doesn't want to work for a company that is growing by leaps and bounds? But we can't do it with managers who don't have the technical skills to do the job and are culturally inhibited from making improvements.