There are newer employer reviews for Alnylam

Not the best place I've worked, but not the worst.

I worked at Alnylam full-time

Pros

Compensation was good and liked my colleagues a great deal. It was a fast paced environment which could be attractive to some. The tuition reimbursement was a definite plus.

Cons

The fast paced environment leads to costly mistakes and stress that are not needed and completely preventable. Publicly traded biotech is unstable and Alnylam is not immune. Supposedly management cut deep during the first layoffs (2010) so they would not have to repeat anytime soon. Then in early 2012, another 33% of the workforce was cut. The vesting schedule on stock options was not helpful. Work/Life balance was becoming questionable when I left.

Slow down

7 Other Employee Reviews for Alnylam (View Most Recent)

Politics, Politics, Politics....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alnylam full-time

Pros

Great, friendly, and hard working colleagues in R & D, IT, IP, and Facilities.

Cons

However, the rest of the company (and some of the more senior staff in the above departments) is all about politics and playing "the game." Also, if one has made any mistakes/missteps they hold on to that information and then bring it up in the annual reviews, instead of addressing the issues in a timely fashion and allowing one to learn and grow, or they hold on to the information in order to fire a staff member.

In addition, upper management expects the staff to be in the office/lab as late as they are, not taking into account that some of the staff come in early and some late based on the arrangement they have with their boss (the middle management). Complete lack of work/life balance.

Also, only management (i.e. those who have doors) receive yearly bonuses, no one else! Extremely elitist and hierarchical.

Management should truly look to see who is doing the actual work, not just spinning it for their approval...

Loved the people!

Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alnylam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved my group! The culture there was awesome!
    My group was like my second family. I will miss them.

Cons

We went through two restructurings with no warning...need I say more?

Share with the employees more of what is going on with the big picture.

There are newer employer reviews for Alnylam