Altarum

www.altarum.org
There are newer employer reviews for Altarum

Lots of interesting work, but management team was not in tune with it's employees.

Current Employee - Senior Informatics Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
Current Employee - Senior Informatics Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Altarum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of work, good benefits

Cons

Director was self centered and a very poor people manager. The benefits got less generous every year.

Remember that your employees are your business, your special projects cost you more money than they bring in.

24 Other Employee Reviews for Altarum (View Most Recent)

Good people, good environment, poor benefits.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Altarum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Lax dress code. Friendly and competent co-workers. Good location and clean, well maintained facilities. Fairly steady work load.

Cons

Engineering best practices sometimes take a back seat to expediency to the detriment of some projects. I know this happens everywhere for a lot of reasons, but it never feels good when it does.
    Career paths are not very well defined for technical personnel and the documentation of them seemed to have been produced as an afterthought. Consequently, I never had the feeling that I had career goals I could work towards at Altarum.
    However, by far the biggest con of working at Altarum is the medical benefits package. Only VERY high deductible options are available and they compare poorly to other, similar health plans in this industry.

Spend a little more on your employees in re: health insurance. It's going to be very difficult to keep young engineers, especially those starting families, if things stay as they are.
    Also, be more willing to spend to improve your development processes. You may not be able to bill the client for it, but it can save you money in the long run and will result in more reliable products.

Love my job!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Altarum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intellectually challenging and fulfilling work; brilliant and hardworking peers; flexibility; passionate and capable management team. Ann Arbor is a great town.

Cons

Bar is high to stand out in this company. Lots of talent to compete with.

Maintain focus on health and health sytem improvement; promote from within.

There are newer employer reviews for Altarum