There are newer employer reviews for Altera

Design Engineer Intern

Former Intern - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
Former Intern - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Altera as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Chance to work on something important and to own a piece of the whole project.
Easy work life balance
Good managers
Great small company culture
Chance to be involved in a current project and provide an impact

Cons

Need to work on setting the goals for the internship in the beginning itself so that you don't waste much time in doing multiple things.
Do not allow training courses to interns.

Absorb interns more as full-timers as they end up gaining a lot of company specific engineering knowledge

reviews filtered by

Must be aggressive and vocal.. or languish. They use bell curve to rate your team !

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Altera full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Altera full-time for more than 6 years

Some good people. Some interesting technology... with some cutting edge ideas. Learned to not get marginalized which can happen even if you do great work. I also learned to not stay somewhere when you get good reviews but low compensation year after year. This is because they are forced to give most of the rewards to the few engineers that boost the visibility of the group. In other words don't take low visibility projects ! You will not be rewarded even if they are critical to the technology.

Cons

I suppose this is true of other big tech companies... but in the 6 years I worked there compensation, promotions, bonus's were whittled down drastically. Minimal effort ($) is spent on general work and file employee moral. I find this unacceptable for a company with huge (billions) of cash reserves. How about a decent party or better across the board bonuses for everyone. Because everyone is working hard and contributing at this place. I've seen several great engineers get treated like crap year after year. Even the great ones leave eventually. I saw several top grade engineers move on to much better places. All in all a good place to start out.. but don't stay too long... unless they are kicking down properly ! A few will advance the rest will languish. I learned that you have to be aggressive and vocal and push for time to prototype your ideas to get ahead. Doing better at my new company as a result.

Stop squeezing every penny away from your general workforce population. Reward everyone equally. Leaves a bad taste.. and the top talent is going to leave anyway. Reward engineers that live and breath the technology for 5 or more years and are the backbone of Altera's success.. not just the flashy vocal engineers that leave after a couple years to Google or some startup. You have loads of $$. How about use .04% of it to really stoke the veteran engineers that have worked hard year after year.. not this bell curve reward system crap. Fire em if they don't do the job.. otherwise spread the wealth equally and stop being so penny tight and greedy. [ this is a general message to large cash hoarding tech companies in the valley]

Management without sense of direction.

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No finger pointing culture. Compensation is good.

Cons

Management has no sense of direction. The will is there but the vision is blure.
    A lot of talk but no acton. Meetings are so popular but you have to go with the flow - and be politically correct. Yes-man may get ahead and people expressing own different opinions are viewed as trouble-makers.
    No accountability and no responsibility taken on management level. Huge ego. Favoritism.

Wake up! Management is incompetent and indecisive.. All they care is politics.
    Competition will beat you if management will not get there staff together. Start focusing on people and treasure own employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Altera