There are newer employer reviews for Altria

a great starter job, will pump up your resume. Get in and get out

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Altria

Pros

benefits include free vehicle, internet access and cell phone are company paid. Great vacation time and health benefits

Cons

no room for promotion opportunities if you don't want to move. constant business changes, with unrealistic expectations from management.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. more room for growth is greatly needed.

reviews filtered by

Enjoyable work experience, great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Altria

Pros

Altria is committed to developing talent. Training continues through every level of tenure and position. Employees are always willing and able to help and the environment is friendly. There is a competitive nature as with any sales position, however in the end, everyone is looking out for the greater good.

Cons

In order to further develop your career you have to be able to relocate, typically far. This is non-negotiable. As a result, the people being promoted are not always the most qualified, simply able to move. Direction is often confusing and overwhelming. There are so many initiatives as once, and can be difficult to manage.

Advice to Management

Streamline direction and responsibility. Develop a system in which people can continue to develop their careers without having to move.

I did gain some valuable business experience, but overall I feel that I was mislead going into the job.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Altria

Pros

The salary and benefits package is practically unbeatable for an entry level employee right out of college. There are three training courses within the first 4 months on the job that do help employee growth and development to a certain extent.

Cons

The company asserts that it operates under several main values in business, some of which include "integrity, trust, respect," "investing in leadership," and "executing with quality." Unfortunately, in my experience, these values were not consistently demonstrated at the degree to which I expected.

Advice to Management

Tobacco companies across the board have historically been much maligned for not being transparent in the health risks associated with their products. That is not the case in today's society, but my advice for upper level management would be to strive to operate and communicate with employees at all levels in the organization with more internal transparency and honesty.