Altria
www.altria.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Company in transition....outcome unknown

(Current Employee)

ProsThe best thing about Altria is the people. Lots and lots of smart, hard working, wonderful people especially in Sales. Compensation and perks are really good for those straight out of college, but become more average as you move through the company. Benefits have been significantly scaled back in the last few years.

ConsThere has been a cultural shift at Altria in the last 5 years or so. There is a turning of the guard as a wave of senior leadership retires and new leadership steps in. In the last year we have seen the retirement or the replacement of the CEO, the President of JMC, the President of UST, and several of the VPs. There is certainly a power struggle going on as people vie for promotions. This had led to the proliferation of yes-men to the point of becoming dangerous. People wait to see what their boss thinks before offering opinions so not to rock the boat. As a result, we have seen half baked plans come from senior leadership and programs that are revised or changed at a dizzying rate. Departments come up with innovative solutions, but the solutions are not built to work together. The end result is complicated programs that are difficult or impossible for the field sales force to execute.

One other big internal con- most of the people who work at Altria have worked there for their entire career. As a result there is a homogenous way of thinking bred into employees that is never questioned. Altria very rarely will look outside itself for solutions...some negative fruit from this practice is the HORRIBLE technology that was created in house and the archaic process for advancement.

Externally you have to live with the stigma if working for a tobacco company. Also sales volume on cigarettes is in a free fall. The company has not found a way to make up that revenue. There was a 15% workforce layoff last year. This will happen again.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your offices and interact with people besides the ones who report directly to you. You may find that you are being duped about "successes." Go out and work in the field without announcing that you are coming....you do realize that stores are cleaned up before you arrive...right?

Amazing experience that can't be beat

I have been working at Altria as an intern

Pros: Salary, company car, vacation, people Cons: pressure by team leaders to sell more Advice to Senior Management: they're awesome Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great company and great people. Has some organizational opportunities.

Unit Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Altria full-time

Pros: -The company is focused on developing leaders -Opportunities to enhance individual skill sets -Challenging assignments -Good people with similar values -Flexibility to make your own schedule -Lots of opportunity for… Cons: -Advancement process is rigid & requires relocation -Advancement is not consistently based on experience & time in position… Advice to Senior Management: -Develop an individual performance measurement system that has clearly established business, organization & role objectives and is consistently used across the country. Include… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Altria.

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altria reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Altria CEO Martin J. Barrington. All reviews posted anonymously by Altria employees.