There are newer employer reviews for Altria

Great company and benefits, monotonous job

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay for entry-level position, great benefits (health insurance, DPS, life insurance, etc). Great people, most people try to help each other.

Cons

The job can become very monotonous very fast. For the TSM (Territory Sales Manager) position, you are in charge of about 150 stores and depending on your area it can get old fast.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing so many initiatives on us at once. If we can create out own game plans and have 6 months to implement, it will help grow the business more than pushing a carton of cigarettes on 20 stores.

Other Employee Reviews for Altria

Exciting Growth... At First. Monotonous Thereafter.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in California City, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in California City, CA

I have been working at Altria full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great first job out of college, secure - Salary, Car, Health Insurance, etc. - Crash course in (basic) sales, building relationships in business situations - Resume builder

Cons

- Monotonous - Difficult to build strong relationships with customers due to a constant push of new tobacco products, changes in retail programs, etc. - Management is luck of the draw - some are great, some not... depends on location - Unhealthy focus on pushing new hires to think about rapid promotion

Advice to Management

Training should be focused on training great sales people, not glorified merchandisers with a handful of statistics in their tool box.

2. Had potential, but wasn't great for Government Affairs internship experience

Former Intern - Temporary Professional in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Temporary Professional in Washington, DC

I worked at Altria as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay flexible schedules (if you're an intern) Interaction with High-level Executives Corporate/For-Profit Experience within a Fortune 100 Company Opportunities for professional development (for full-time salaried employees).

Cons

Many people/companies/organizations outside of the tobacco industry do not like Altria so good luck getting a job with Altria on your resume. For me, the culture was too professional, the hours were too long (9-6), and there were massive lay-offs (3 organizational restructurings within 4 years) and I would expect more to come in the future. Long-term employment potential and growth seemed to be limited.

Advice to Management

Some higher level management were too "hands-off" when it came to managing interns. I suggest you take a greater interest in the Temporary Professionals. As an intern in Government Affairs, the job responsibilities were not clear and the intern position/program was not very well structured. I had way too much time to do nothing and when it came to doing the work, I was never told the "big picture" so most of what I did made little sense.