Altria
www.altria.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Wrong people in the wrong places

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBest products on the market in there category of tobacco products
Great 401
Have some great people
Comany car

ConsInterns are highered and quickly promoted. Most of them not ready for the next conquest. The company has alot of great quality people, but are not placed in the correct geography or position. This causes alot of turn over and creates much anxiety on the people that are left there not only to do there work, but also the work of someone else. Some people work extremely hard and long, others do not, yet they receive for the most part the same bonuses and benefits. Very unmotivational. The company also want everything done tomorrow, which is also very drainging. Alot of time wasted on uneccessary conference calls and meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not drink to much kool-aid. Most will act like everything is coming up roses, just as long as it is their roses that are coming up. Most managers are not knowlegible on the programs that there employees are using. How benefical can that be to the people that work for them. Learn your employes jobs so you can actually be helpful when out in the field working with them.

Great compensation, big business management styles

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Altria full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The base salary is competitive as well as bonuses for meeting sales initiatives makes this a great place to start a career. They provide… Cons: You are working for a tobacco company! Some of their business strategies I found to be incredibly unfair and even a little oppressive. … Advice to Senior Management: Be more knowledgable about the roles of the people for whom you are managing. Understand the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good pay and benefits, but limited advancement opportunities, declining industry

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Mansfield, MA

I have been working at Altria full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: - Excellent compensation, starts at $54k for territory sales managers - 401k / Profit Sharing is tough to beat. 3% match 401k plus 15% of… Cons: - Tobacco industry is declining, so cost-cutting will only continue - Altria plays it too safe, always afraid of getting sued - Countless brand extensions… Advice to Senior Management: - Setup internal system for viewing vacancies, advancement or developmental opportunities - Recruit more true sales people, not kids trying to be managers as soon as… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Altria.

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altria reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Altria CEO Martin J. Barrington. All reviews posted anonymously by Altria employees.