Altria
www.altria.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Can't Beat the Experience... But...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Great Friends! I worked at Altria (Philip Morris USA) for over a decade. I made so many life-long friendships.

- Family Orientation. I have a family, and not once did I feel as if my family was unwelcome. They would come to meet for lunch or to say hello to our friends at work. In addition (it's up to manager discretion by the way), there's ample time off and a general understanding that family is priority #1 for most folks, and that your career/occupation/job is the means to continue making family #1.

- Wealth of Experiences: In my tenure there, I had more jobs than years at the company. This wasn't because of 'bad' attrition rates, but rather, the acknowledgement of content mastery and the desire to continue providing challenging experiences.

- Pay is 'good' for the area. At any job, a few 'k' more is always nice, but keep in mind that for the level position for the Richmond area, the pay is very competitive.

- Investment in Leadership. Having left the company, I now look back on the investment Altria makes in Leadership, and it's truly from the 'bottom up'. I cannot even count how many Leadership Seminars, Bootcamps, Excursions, etc. that I experienced over the years. In addition, management truly wants your input, and fully incorporates you into the strategic planning process. All in all, they are FUN, rewarding, and you learn a LOT of transferrable skills.

Cons- Downsizing. This is the Tobacco Industry. It is in decline. Period. In a declining market, with the overhead of Federal and State cash outlays that increase YoY, it's a tough road. I witnessed three layoff periods, and it was not a happy place to be. As a former employee, the ONLY reason I left was because of this reason, and this reason alone. With downsizing, you constantly wonder when the next round of layoffs will be, and you also witness the shrinking 'opportunity set' of potential positions, both laterally and in advancement.

- 'Good old Boy Network'. This is an 'older' company, and there's a perception that a 'good old boy' network exists(ed) inside the company. If you didn't play golf with the VP of so n' so, then the perception was that you wouldn't be up for the next big promotion.

- Over-reliance on Sales Force. I worked at Headquarters, and witnessed an incredible amount of 'churn' with selected personnel from the Field Sales Force. Granted, that organization is very large, and the top X% of that organization is a large number. However, placing Field Sales Force personnel in 'any' position over and above others that have garnered as much or more success in their respective non-FSF roles is NOT the panacea they are looking for.

Advice to Senior Management- Be as Transparent as possible with your people, the future of the company, and their future. The people that are there are completely DEDICATED to the company, and to each other. This is VERY hard to find. Transparency is applauded, and respected.

- Shift towards a Meritocracy. I'm not suggesting a pendulum swing here, but instead, put a little more weight during Reviews and advancement planning on truly WHAT the individual delivers against the goals, and HOW. Rely less if Jane Doe is a great schmoozer at an event, or garners cross-functional attention through some theatrics. Rely more on and reward Janet Doe who actually did the work and garnered cross-functional accolades through making systems, processes, and people better.

- Rely less on Sales Force to solve the company's problems. In general, Sales persons are not engineers. They are not creative savants. They do not hold a doctorate in statistics and developed a new coding script for evaluating data. Yes... these can be learned by the brightest of sales persons, but the folks you have that are already doing that type of work have also mastered those skills, and want to keep progressing as well!

Great place to begin a career (field sales)

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Huntington, NY

I worked at Altria full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Structured training and development program. Flexible work hours. Competitive compensation. Reputable company and work experience. Management is committed to developing their… Cons: Mobility is must if you wish to advance within the sales force. Corporate HQ is in Richmond, VA (not the most appealing city). … Advice to Senior Management: Prioritize. Everything cannot be a priority. Give TSMs more responsibility for their business results and don't hold… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A lot of outsourcing

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

I worked at Altria full-time for less than a year

Pros: multiple restructures in a very short period. For contructors, there… Cons: Employees of Altira faced a log of restrucatures in a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Altria.

Worked for Altria? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altria reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Altria CEO Martin J. Barrington. All reviews posted anonymously by Altria employees.