There are newer employer reviews for Altria

Summer Sales Intern

Former Employee - Summer Sales in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Summer Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Altria as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility
Responsibility large for a summer internship
Great program for those looking to demonstrate initiative

Cons

Expect you to move
Can get repetitive once you understand structure
Pay isn't as competitive as I would expect it to be.

I really like the way Altria planned its internship and how it treated the interns. One thing that was very frustrating was in our mentors and the leadership not understanding that the amount of resources provided by a mentor vary widely. Another intern was given tons of data and tools for digging in through it, along with long work days for creating a Gameplan. Obviously they're going to do better than I am given that. Didn't really matter overall as I thought my summers were very successful, and I ended up making them a great deal of money.

309 Other Employee Reviews for Altria (View Most Recent)

Good out of college but not long-term

I worked at Altria full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, profit-sharing, healthcare, ability to move up if willing to move all over

Cons

Expect to work ALL the time; no personal life. Weak middle-management.

Develop all employees not just promotable candidates. Under-valued employees, bad moral.

Unit Manager

Former Employee - Unit Manager
    Former Employee - Unit Manager

I worked at Altria full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary to start, especially for a beginner sales role directly out of college. Company car, excellent contribution by company to employee retirement fund.

Cons

Very little work/life balance. Promotion process is extremely long and drawn out, taking away from your day to day responsibilities of your daily role. Upper management says one thing and does another, giving conflicting direction to their reports. Every time you get a promotion, you have to move to another market, and rarely a place you actually want to live. They work you extremely long hours to get from one place you don't want to live so you get promoted and move to yet another place that you don't want to live.

Change the promotion process so employees are promoted based on their job performance, not just the management favorites and those that can build the best power point presentation.

There are newer employer reviews for Altria