fun, rewarding, congenial

Current Contractor - Associate in New Orleans, LA
Current Contractor - Associate in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Alvarez & Marsal as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

people, interesting problems and clients, good travel

Cons

long hours, tight deadlines, demanding environment

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great company

Former Intern - Valuation Services in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Valuation Services in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned with Alvarez and Marsal over the summer. The people there are great to work with and always positive.

Cons

I can't think of many cons that I experienced while working with this company. Since my time there was short as an intern I can't give an accurate answer to this question.

Not enough people living the values

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Alvarez & Marsal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an opportunity to brand yourself as a professional and contribute to building a practice.

A&M does a good job of keeping project teams small and encouraging Analysts to gain exposure to client leadership.

Most offices encourgae a family-first and very tight-knit culture. As well, if you are a conservative, family-oriented individual, you will fit in with the majority of your coworkers.

Cons

I worked in the Business Consulting division of A&M. The company roughly splits into Restructuring (NACR), Private Equity Performance Improvement (PEPI), Tax, Global Forensics & Dispute, and Business Consulting (BC). There are other groups scattered about, but these are the big ones.

All the great reputation A&M has is from the NACR group. NACR has top clients, projects, and talent--my limited experience working on NACR projects was enjoyable. BC, however, likes to message itself as a prestigious practice with great people and projects. The reality is that most of the work BC does is low-impact or for small to medium clients. They have good client relationships in Energy, but that's about it. If you want to do something like implement Hyperion, they're fine, but not if you want to do something innovative or pioneering.

With many former Arthur Anderson partners at the helm, the place is run like Anderson, not realising that the world (and other large firms) have moved on and changed since 2001. The culture of nepotism leads to poor hiring decisions. And there is a tacit (and sometimes explicit) disregard for diversity. Leaders at a recent national practice meeting made uncomfortable comments relating to women and LGBT individuals while presenting. Ultimately, they tell people things that sound good or that they think they want to hear, only to not be able to deliver on them--this is particularly evident in performance management and development.

No one has heard of this place, which makes exit opportunities tough.

Advice to Management

Redesign your HR function, especially your approach to development. You should have a better idea of the path a new analyst should follow through each level at the company. Provide some sales training for breaking into new clients rather than focusing so much on growing current accounts. Both are important.