There are newer employer reviews for Amazon Lab126

Lab126 - Great Managers, Purposeful Work, Awesome Environment

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The thing that obviously stands out the most was that, throughout the summer, I was involved in a project of my own which was actually quite important to my team. And more than that, directors and engineering from other departments expressed their eagerness and excitement for seeing my results when the project was complete. As an intern, this was an unexpected and exhilarating experience.

The office culture was very much to my liking: Never a need to "clock in or out", never a manager looking over my shoulder, and never a scenario where the full timers looked down on us. In fact, they were often quite jealous of our sweet swag. On the contrary to the above, I had a great mentor who introduced me to the work I carried out, and was very available to help guide the project. My manager was straight forward, but supportive and encouraging of the efforts I put in.

The intern culture is also really good. With the interns in my building, 6-10 of us met every day to catch lunch together, and we got together most weekends to do whatever in Mountain View or go bowling in Cupertino. This was a huge plus, and I'll likely stay in touch with a lot of them for hopefully years to come.

The compensation at Lab is also very, very good - and they organized very neat intern activities throughout the summer, including a Giants game, "Nerd-olympics", and a few others that I won't disclose since I think these are some of their own gems.

In all, a very cool experience, and I've been hiring back for the following summer now, at increased pay.

Cons

The building I worked in in 2013 was quite old, but that has been remedied now since the entire company s moving into a shiny new high-rise tower in the Moffett Towers. So, that'll be neat.

One downside to my job was that I spent more time than ever before in front of a computer screen. This was exhausting at first, and wouldn't be how I'd want to spend my career (I'm not a programer, clearly). However, this also gave me an opportunity to gain a great deal of facility with a series of different software programs.

There are waves of crunches within the company, and in those spans you'll be pushed hard and the help will be slightly less available.

Also - not that this is associated with Lab126 - but be prepared that 1/3 of your salary goes to taxes. Yeah, it's never been as apparent as when you're actually making money, and ten that money gets taken away by the gov't... I get it now.

I can't say much more that wasn't great about it. The housing was good, the area is pretty sweet. Yeah, not many downsides. Also, there's room to grow into the company - another big plus.

Make sure to show your interns the paths that they can take to get to the jobs they ultimately want to have. Whether that's senior programming engineer, or management, or whatever - I would love to have had a better knowledge, from the inside, of what it will take to reach the top.

Also, not all managers were as solid as mine, but let me say: I worked harder, cared more, and contributed a few of my weekends to my project because I felt that my project was values, and that I as an intern was part of my team. My manager - M.S. - did this very well, and if//when I become a manager, these elements and experiences will be part of how I interact with my own staff.

100 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon Lab126 (View Most Recent)

Nothing "inventive" about this place, toxic culture, avoid

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is somewhat competitive, RSUs in Amazon bubble stock

Cons

Politics, backstabbing, immaturity, talking heads
    Copy reference designs over and over
    Review process rewards dysfunctional behavior

Have yet to see hr or management try to fix any of these issues at Lab

Smart people, cool products, boring day-to-day

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My team was full of really smart people, and the projects and products that we were working on were really cool. I worked there shortly before the latest generation of Kindle devices (Kindle Fire HDX, etc.) were released, and I got to experiment with the new devices, and write production code for them immediately, even as an intern. Hackathons put on by the company were a great way to experiment with the Kindle platform, and success is rewarded by management.

Cons

Office culture is a little too corporate for my tastes, but they're actually pretty flexible with working hours and dress code (within reason) as long as you're productive and make all your meetings. One thing that was irritating was the lack of food and the location of their campus. They built new offices north of Sunnyvale, and were in the process of transferring all operations out there, and while the offices are nice, they only offer dinner for free (which was mediocre at best -- it reminded me of dorm food), and it was a 10-15 minute drive to any restaurants, since the offices are sort of in the middle of nowhere. Their corporate value of "frugality" often means cheapness, and a corresponding lack of the sort of creature comforts you might find at the offices of other major tech companies (free food, lounge areas, etc.). They justify this by claiming to pay more (our savings on frills goes into your paycheck), but in my experience, their pay scale is about average, although intern benefits were on par with other companies.

It's a nice enough company to work for, but the sort of corporate culture and lack of little things like food just give employees more things to complain about

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon Lab126