Worst place I've worked over the past 2 decades

Former Employee - Hardware Development Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Hardware Development Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, I can not think of one single pro about working here; any pro comes with a con. For example, any bonus is tied to a 1 year commitment of employment, any 401K match is tied to a 3 year commitment of employment, RSU vesting structure is such that only 20% of your shares vest after 2 years of employment and after 2 years you will likely be miserable working here. It could be an okay place to work for an internship or new grad, but you will be doing yourself a huge disservice working at Lab126 if you want to advance your career or grow intellectually.

Cons

I could write a book. My advice is to not ignore the negative reviews on Glassdoor because they are all valid. Lab126 is a politically charged, lack of vision, lack of leadership, follow the competition and copy the reference design house. The amount of money wasted churning on "me too" products and flying out large teams of people every time somebody overseas farts is ridiculous. Ideas touted as innovate inside the company are typically absurd and are only value as a marketing gimmick. Any truly revolutionary ideas will be slapped down because they have no confidence on executing new concepts or creating new market segments. But the best part of it all is that if you bring these great ideas of yours to the table you will be chastised for not cowering in the corner like the rest of the good little mice. There are some good people here and some truly worthless people here, but who stays and who goes is based off pure brown nosing and strategic politic alignment. There are some high profile people working here I would not hire to mow my lawn. The benefits are poor for a company this size, but then again, there is no benefit in working here. I would give zero stars if I could. If I have saved one person from accepting a job at Lab126 then typing this was time well spent.

There will always be buses to throw people under.

Other Reviews for Amazon Lab126

Backloaded stock units, try to lock you into 4 years of misery

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are lots of good places to eat in Cupertino but now they are moving to a wasteland near Moffet and Highway 101. Good play for n00b college kids that don't know any better.

Cons

Most people quit within one year of employment.. The RSUs are back-loaded to 80% of the vesting in years 3 and 4. Nobody can actually last that long in this turd company so they just find a better job and quit. Agree with other comments here about politics, toxic culture and poor benefits. I will take the next job out of here as will many others.

I'd give you some advice but you would not listen to any of it.

Politics, Toxic culture, Avoid

Current Employee - SDE1  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - SDE1 in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time for more than a year

Pros

"making our OS the best software platform in the industry, capable of providing unique value to our customers"

Cons

Before I came here, I talked to a friend who is working in Apple. He told me Lab126 is a company that borrowed the software and made them messes. I don't believe him until I'm here now! I cannot see any innovations here, and they don't even want it.
    The works here are basically integration, including combining Android and some software from vendor. Non of them were built by Lab126 itself. When you talked to the managers about this, they will ask you the same question:"Why we need to build them ourselves since we already had them?". Software quality is totally a mess. You got tons of bugs that can never be finished.
    Managers are came from some low end companies, who ruined one and another. They don't admire tech -- they know nothing, maybe. What they focus on was POLITICS. They might call you at the midnight, or even midnight in the weekend to ask you to verify a patch, run a script or launch a test case. These are what we do everyday.
    The Pros is what we claimed, which I think is a joke.

Stop making jokes and start to build something. I will leave in weeks, GOD BLESS YOU.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon Lab126.

Worked for Amazon Lab126? Contribute to the Community!