Lab126, an Amazon.com company - product development center behind the Kindle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126

Pros

Amazon has fantastic customer service and this influences the development of the Kindle in a positive way. More data driven than other companies.

Cons

Culture emphasizes looking at the employee as a glass half empty. Values thriftiness to a demoralizing fault. Overdoes it on promoting internally - senior managers are leading efforts they have no experience in and obviously stumble and haven't a clue on how to begin - bring in someone from the outside who is experienced and let them lead the effort.

Advice to Management

Do a competitive analysis of yourself as company against other valley companies and see how you measure in terms of compensation/treatment of employees - the recession won't last forever and the good ones will leave.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Used to be great in the early days, then Amazon corporate ruined it

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Amazon Lab126

Pros

Kindle is a very successful product; looks good on your resume A few really great engineers are still there During my tenure, in the early days of e-readers, we were working on cutting-edge technology and ideas (no longer the case) Small discount when shopping at Amazon.com

Cons

It stopped being fun and innovative once Amazon corporate took over the software group Managers can be very mean to the engineers; recognition for a job well done only applies to managers' buddies I was given a dismal review after a year of no feedback from my manager, despite my asking repeatedly for feedback and turning in weekly status reports, and having made major contributions to the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX Very high turnover of workforce (tells you something about what it's like to work there nowadays) Has grown too much for its own good

Advice to Management

Start all over with a new, small, innovative subsidiary which is independent of Amazon headquarters, and *please* get rid of the "Darth Vader" local managers!

2. Process Dev Engineer

Current Employee - Process Development Engineer in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - Process Development Engineer in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at Amazon Lab126 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work and life balance.

Cons

Overall team was not efficient while solving problems. When issue happened, different teams kick balls to each other while no one would take ownership to resolve it. Performance review system is kind of bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

More innovation, less bureaucratic