There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Experience from various Amazon departments

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Amazon does a great job of hiring the best people. You will get to work with some of the smartest people you'll encounter anywhere. I met more people with 2+ advanced degrees while working in the supply chain group than anywhere else.

Cons

There is hardly any chance of a person receiving a promotion. Part of the problem with hiring the best people is that really good performance is considered average. With hundreds of engineers in an organization only a tiny number would ever be promoted in a year. It's very discouraging.

There are 2 very different worlds in Amazon, the older areas and the newer ones. Working in the original operations or retail areas you can have a work life balance. However, in the AWS division people are expected to work roughly 60 hours per week. There is no work/life balance. If you have a family your spouse really can't have a job.

The AWS division should learn from the rest of the company how to treat its engineers. In the rest of the company engineers are expected to think like business owners and their opinions are valued. In AWS, or at least my corner, management doesn't want engineers to make suggestions.

3488 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

a good place to earn money

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

pay is good. flexible working hours. be respected when sharing my ideas. can learn a lot from the fast-growing company.

Cons

no good mechanism to guide a new employee. IT support is far from perfect. no free meals or even soda.

timely feedback is preferred. should create a better way to get new people on track. spend more money on employee's warfare.

Becoming an Amazon Warrior

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Lewisberry, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lewisberry, PA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

The benefits are decent, personal time, vacation time, and gloves and box cutters are provided. The dress code is reasonable, the most they tell you to do is wear a good pair of sneakers to work. They also train employees on heavy lifting equipment.

Cons

-The hours can get crazy! They have made employees work 50 hour weeks for about a month at a time and gave little insight as to why this keeps happening, other than people aren't working fast enough.
    -Temp to Hire - A person would have to become a temp before they are hired on. I feel like most of the temps don't hold a lot of hope in getting hired on, so they don't put a lot of effort into their work. I feel like most of the temps feel lost in the shuffle of things at work, and don't feel like the company puts very much investment it them.
    -Short breaks - We get a half hour for lunch and 2 fifteen minute breaks. It's tough to really take a break in that short amount of time.
    - Permanent employees that set a bad example - Some of the Amazonians really don't put a lot of effort into their work and set a poor example for the new people comming in. I really don't feel like management takes these things seriously and adds this chain of events up as to why work doesn't get done.

We need to come up with a better plan for hiring and training new warehouse associates. I understand that they are doing the whole direct conversion plan, but I'm not so sure that that would be the answer to the problem. I worry that this plan might rely on interviews, which places that put a lot of stock in interviews tend to hire people that talk more than they can do. We also need to maintain the work ethic of current Amazon employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!