Becoming an Amazon Warrior

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lewisberry, PA
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lewisberry, PA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

The benefits are decent, personal time, vacation time, and gloves and box cutters are provided. The dress code is reasonable, the most they tell you to do is wear a good pair of sneakers to work. They also train employees on heavy lifting equipment.

Cons

-The hours can get crazy! They have made employees work 50 hour weeks for about a month at a time and gave little insight as to why this keeps happening, other than people aren't working fast enough.
-Temp to Hire - A person would have to become a temp before they are hired on. I feel like most of the temps don't hold a lot of hope in getting hired on, so they don't put a lot of effort into their work. I feel like most of the temps feel lost in the shuffle of things at work, and don't feel like the company puts very much investment it them.
-Short breaks - We get a half hour for lunch and 2 fifteen minute breaks. It's tough to really take a break in that short amount of time.
- Permanent employees that set a bad example - Some of the Amazonians really don't put a lot of effort into their work and set a poor example for the new people comming in. I really don't feel like management takes these things seriously and adds this chain of events up as to why work doesn't get done.

Advice to Management

We need to come up with a better plan for hiring and training new warehouse associates. I understand that they are doing the whole direct conversion plan, but I'm not so sure that that would be the answer to the problem. I worry that this plan might rely on interviews, which places that put a lot of stock in interviews tend to hire people that talk more than they can do. We also need to maintain the work ethic of current Amazon employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Engaging and Busy... Sometimes too Busy

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

You'll be surrounded by some of the smartest people around which allows growth and development. Amazon strives to be innovative and say ahead of the curve which offers a level of pride and fosters drive in employees to continue pushing to be the best. There are a lot of opportunities to work in different departments.

I don't think anyone is ever bored working for Amazon as there's always more than enough work to do. Many projects are really cool and exciting to be involved in.

Cons

Amazon is a tough place to work if you need a work-life balance. I sometimes feel guilty when I take vacation or am ill because of the things I miss when I'm gone. That said, I'm never 100% out as my e-mail is available on my phone and I'm always connected.

Interdepartmental communication could be improved. Each team operates somewhat separately and communication is almost non-existent until there's an emergency.

Flexible and comfortable

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Very comfortable, flexible schedule, just arrive and leave anytime to get your work done. Good mood in the office, happy hours :) And Seattle is a really great city.

Cons

Too frugal to employers. Really poor benefits, no free soda or gym or meals, compact office. Most projects are somehow too customer oriented and not that attracting.

Advice to Management

Amazon is too much customer oriented, or product oriented. So it's the spiking of ideas is not really taking place in Amazon.