Amazon.com

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Encourages "just do it"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

A great experience if you want to make a difference ay a major corporation. Employees can diretly impact the business and the company encourages you to "just do it". I've been a long-time employee and i my whole career has been at Amazon but feel that i have had ample career growth opportunity.

Cons

It can be extremely stressful. New fire drills daily and work-life becomes hard to balance. Managers shift frequently making it difficult to maintatin consistency in terms of career. Seem to spend more time preparing reports and summaries than i do on fixing the actual poblems i'm reporting on.

Invest more in marketing and research. We are a product-led company and this need to be balanced by investing more time into research whether the money we are investng in are indeed the right opportunities.

3960 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for if that's all you want to do.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Extremely smart people and a fast-paced environment.

Cons

Work-life balance. HR Group was pretty dysfunctional, with adversarial interactions vs. team environment.

Lead your people. Drive your people...not into the ground.

Great for customers, bad for employees

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com

Pros

Amazon truly values the customer. There were a number of instances where Amazon would do something which short-term wasn't good for the company, but was definitely good for the customer. Bezos strongly believes that doing the best for the customer will also be best for the company long-term.

Cons

I worked there for three years as a software engineer. There is constant turmoil and shuffling of people and managers. The company is basically a meat grinder for employees. Engineers carry pagers and spend significant time temporarily patching up things that are broken.

The focus is on new shiny things rather than truly fixing things that are broken so that they work right. For each group doing the "next big thing" there are three groups doing maintenance work of some horrible legacy system.

The rate of attrition is unbelievable. One area of the company I worked in had about 45 engineers and had a rate of attrition slightly over 100% meaning that, within one year, every engineer had left and been replaced.

Focus on regretted attrition. Treat employees like you treat customers. Figure out why they're unhappy, make the environment better. Focus on making the internals of Amazon operate as well as the public image.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com