steep learning curve

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

exposure to the brilliance of 100s of smart developers work with latest technologies constant improvement in tools that aid in development

Cons

hectic work culture not much fun, very frugal in perks unattractive employee discount even in Amazon.com

Advice to Management

make working in amazon fun

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com

Energizing Workplace

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great climate, strong push to deliver results, big organization yet fostering innovation and start up mentality

Cons

Growing fast, better hang on, and don't bother join if you cannot manage change

Stock price tripled while I was there; lots of hard work

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the biggest pro is the stock price: stock tripled while I was there. Also, at Amazon I had the chance to to work with some of the most dedicated and hardest working individuals in my life. This can be good or bad, but I am putting in the Pros: everyone I worked with at Amazon is very smart. If you work incredibly long hours after a few years you may get promoted. And if the stock price is moving in your favor, this could be a big chunk of change in your pocket.

Cons

I also had the opportunity to work with some of the meanest, most selfish, most back stabbing individuals in my life. Lots of stress and turnover. I am putting the following on the cons (for some people it may be a pro) - Amazon is a high performance, high energy company. This means lots of long hours; once you are not performing you will be out the door in 3-4 months no questions asked. This applies to new hires as well as "tenured" employees. I am also putting this in the cons (for some people it may be a pro) - as you stay in the job and as you are performing, your job will get progressively harder and harder and your responsibilities will progressively increase. But you not get any pay increase or bonus for years to come.

Advice to Management

Advice to people who are thinking to work for Amazon - read the job description carefully. This will be what you will do for the first couple of quarters. After that, the job will become progressively harder, and harder. Compare that with what you get from other companies and make up your decision.