There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

I would stop my friends from working here, unless I really hated my friends

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Good experience for a junior recruiter looking to learn the ropes -- suck it up for 2-3 years

* Great for an agency recruiter to make the transition to corporate

* The business (in theory) has ownership over the recruiting process ((in theory, recruiting is not a back office function)

* Take your dog to work

* The pay is okay, but you have to negotiate for it (including an additional week of vacation in the first year. And go for a high salary because you won't want to stay long enough to get your stock.)

Cons

* Recruiting leadership at the executive level is non-existent. There are a number of peers and no one on the "leadership team" is having the tough discussions about how to build a scalable recruiting org. They openly dislike each other so the opportunity to build a world class recruiting org is lost. The solution continues to be "hire more recruiters" rather than build a flexible, scalable org with the right recruiters and leadership.

* Recruiting leadership at the business level is poor. There's favoritism, lack of transparency, lack of strategic direction, no investment in the development of current team members, plus avoidance of conflict and lack of pushing back on the business. In Retail recruiting, morale is worse than it has been in years.

* HR does not value recruiting.

* Retention is terrible and you won't be able to develop and get promoted without a strong manager being supportive of your promotion. So you're basically screwed.

* There is an absolutely enormous amount of duplicate work because of the poor org structure.

* There is an absolutely enormous amount of internal competition (and by competition I mean fighting) over candidates -- tech recruiting is the worst and if you are a tech recruiter your career will be ruined working here.

* You have to work in three ATS programs that don't integrate well (this is the most manually administrative job I've had in my entire15 year career). This is the worst reporting I've seen in my career. For a metrics-driven company, everything has to be done manually. Crazy.

* In appropriate/unethical things go on but there is no where to turn because upon starting you are told that "HR for HR" is terrible and not to trust them with anything. Wait? You're in an HR function and you're told not to trust your HR person? Disgraceful, yet true. So sad.

Advice to Management

* Recruiting is broken because of lack of leadership-- hire a VP of global talent acquisition IMMEDIATELY and allow them to do their job.

* Have a tough discussion on recruiting org structure and fix it. Centralize some sourcing. Centralize research. Standardize process across businesses. Ensure compliance.

* Audit the quality of recruiting leadership and hire/fire as needed. Assess morale on each team. Assign new HR for HR for recruiting in order to earn trust and work on fixing what's broken.

* Make candidate experience a priority. If we treated our candidates like customers, we would allow them to decide on their career path, rather than secretly fighting over tech candidates who get no say about the job they are interviewed for. Craziness.

* Standardize metrics across the org -- time to fill, conversion rates, etc. -- and get an ATS that will actually report on it. Hundreds of recruiters reporting manually because the three systems we have don't work is a huge waste of salary time.

reviews filtered by

Stock price tripled while I was there; lots of hard work

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the biggest pro is the stock price: stock tripled while I was there. Also, at Amazon I had the chance to to work with some of the most dedicated and hardest working individuals in my life. This can be good or bad, but I am putting in the Pros: everyone I worked with at Amazon is very smart.

If you work incredibly long hours after a few years you may get promoted. And if the stock price is moving in your favor, this could be a big chunk of change in your pocket.

Cons

I also had the opportunity to work with some of the meanest, most selfish, most back stabbing individuals in my life. Lots of stress and turnover.

I am putting the following on the cons (for some people it may be a pro) - Amazon is a high performance, high energy company. This means lots of long hours; once you are not performing you will be out the door in 3-4 months no questions asked. This applies to new hires as well as "tenured" employees.

I am also putting this in the cons (for some people it may be a pro) - as you stay in the job and as you are performing, your job will get progressively harder and harder and your responsibilities will progressively increase. But you not get any pay increase or bonus for years to come.

Advice to Management

Advice to people who are thinking to work for Amazon - read the job description carefully. This will be what you will do for the first couple of quarters. After that, the job will become progressively harder, and harder. Compare that with what you get from other companies and make up your decision.

The best company I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Outbound Warehouse Associate in Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Outbound Warehouse Associate in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits; easy-going, understanding managers; you get a raise every 6 months as a Tier 1 associate (aka entry level position); monthly bonuses for every employee; multiple shifts; they allow you to switch shifts/positions after 90 days in a position

Cons

No air-conditioning, but we do have "cooling units" and heat during winter months. Security is pretty tight also so we aren't allowed to have our cell phones while working unless you are an area manager or Tier 3 associate.