There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

I would stop my friends from working here, unless I really hated my friends

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Good experience for a junior recruiter looking to learn the ropes -- suck it up for 2-3 years

* Great for an agency recruiter to make the transition to corporate

* The business (in theory) has ownership over the recruiting process ((in theory, recruiting is not a back office function)

* Take your dog to work

* The pay is okay, but you have to negotiate for it (including an additional week of vacation in the first year. And go for a high salary because you won't want to stay long enough to get your stock.)

Cons

* Recruiting leadership at the executive level is non-existent. There are a number of peers and no one on the "leadership team" is having the tough discussions about how to build a scalable recruiting org. They openly dislike each other so the opportunity to build a world class recruiting org is lost. The solution continues to be "hire more recruiters" rather than build a flexible, scalable org with the right recruiters and leadership.

* Recruiting leadership at the business level is poor. There's favoritism, lack of transparency, lack of strategic direction, no investment in the development of current team members, plus avoidance of conflict and lack of pushing back on the business. In Retail recruiting, morale is worse than it has been in years.

* HR does not value recruiting.

* Retention is terrible and you won't be able to develop and get promoted without a strong manager being supportive of your promotion. So you're basically screwed.

* There is an absolutely enormous amount of duplicate work because of the poor org structure.

* There is an absolutely enormous amount of internal competition (and by competition I mean fighting) over candidates -- tech recruiting is the worst and if you are a tech recruiter your career will be ruined working here.

* You have to work in three ATS programs that don't integrate well (this is the most manually administrative job I've had in my entire15 year career). This is the worst reporting I've seen in my career. For a metrics-driven company, everything has to be done manually. Crazy.

* In appropriate/unethical things go on but there is no where to turn because upon starting you are told that "HR for HR" is terrible and not to trust them with anything. Wait? You're in an HR function and you're told not to trust your HR person? Disgraceful, yet true. So sad.

* Recruiting is broken because of lack of leadership-- hire a VP of global talent acquisition IMMEDIATELY and allow them to do their job.

* Have a tough discussion on recruiting org structure and fix it. Centralize some sourcing. Centralize research. Standardize process across businesses. Ensure compliance.

* Audit the quality of recruiting leadership and hire/fire as needed. Assess morale on each team. Assign new HR for HR for recruiting in order to earn trust and work on fixing what's broken.

* Make candidate experience a priority. If we treated our candidates like customers, we would allow them to decide on their career path, rather than secretly fighting over tech candidates who get no say about the job they are interviewed for. Craziness.

* Standardize metrics across the org -- time to fill, conversion rates, etc. -- and get an ATS that will actually report on it. Hundreds of recruiters reporting manually because the three systems we have don't work is a huge waste of salary time.

3498 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Amcatrz

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

- No prior experience needed to join. You don't have to be an expert in distributed systems to get a job. The interviews are also not that tough. If you go through all the interviews posted at glassdoor.com and careercup.com, you should be fine.
    - Great co-workers. Team work is really good at Amazon and you see heros all around, constantly fighting the madness.
    - Product moves fast and very little beaurocracy (no three month long project reviews, you deploy the code and see what breaks, then fight to stabilize things overnight).

Cons

I will speak for AWS because that's what I know. One word can sum up the work here - pager. Responding to the pager is what engineers are hired for. You do get to code snippets now and then, but in all likelihood, you will write more code during the interview than in your actual work at AWS. There is an elaborate system to track who's supposed to respond to the pager when, who all that person can then page when he's unfamiliar with the problem (happens a lot), how many pages were encountered during the day, how many pages were encountered during the night, what to do if you see the same issue when you get paged next. Everything, expect how to fix the problem that caused the page. Yes, that's discussed superficially at meetings, but then there is no one to actually go and do the fix, because all the engineers are attending to the pager, or waiting their turn to do so.
    People keep joining and leaving the team every month ( it's a "revolving door"). At the end of my eighth month, I was the second seniormost person on the team. Most people who hang on beyond a year have under water mortgages or kids in college to pay for. If you do join AWS, don't at least buy that million dollar condo.

Why pretend to be a technical company? Just accept you are a retail shop and hire some sys admins in Bangalore who can restart the machines during their daytime.

"Work hard, have fun" is very apropos

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

*NOTE: these are generalizations. Crappy managers and co-workers do exist*

-Smart and skilled people
    -Highly motivated people
    -During any type of "political debate," asking what is best for the customer usually gets people on the same page
    -Easy to move around the company. In fact, it's encouraged.
    -Things are done for a reason
    -Managers seem to be s**t umbrellas rather than s**t funnels.
    -Due to the ridiculous scale of our systems, the one in a billion edge case keeps us up at night
    -The promotions thing is done on a strict merit basis. If everyone in a department deserves a promotion, they all get it. There is no quota. But each promotion / review is heavily vetted with a bunch of management folks.
    -I can drink on the job. We have weekly beer bashes and occasional nerf wars. It's a pretty good balance of youth and older, more experienced folks.
    -Management is in tune with you, and what you want to do / are doing. Most teams have weekly one-on-ones with their manager to just chat.
    -Management is responsive and receptive

Cons

-Your career growth is dictated by the opportunities made available to you at the team you're on.
    -People switch teams about every 2 years. Which is great, since it enables you to move around easily, but it also causes some turnover pains.
    -Depending on the team, the pager thing can be annoying. But it's not that terrible, and many teams don't have a rotation. But you do have folks in Ireland / India to take them during the night.

This is happening in some organizations throughout the company, but I think it would help to re-focus on what the role of a software engineer at Amazon should be. Are they primarily coordinating projects and leading the design? Are they the actual people on the ground coding solutions? Are they just supporting current implementations / deprecating legacy code? The role varies greatly throughout the company depending on the team. And if you're a new hire, you are leaving it up to luck as to whether

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!