A great place to learn

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon is a great place to learn, but the company will burn you out if you let them. Most people at the company are fairly young due to the demanding schedules, but it is a challenging, fun place to work. Pay is average, but stock bonuses raise total compensation above most employers especially when the stock price goes up significantly in a year.

Cons

Promotions and good reviews are dependent on having a good manager. A bad manager can ruin your experience. Definitely not the place to work if you are into being pampered and having your feelings catered to. People are very direct and to the point. It helps business get done quickly, but there isn't much tolerance for politics and little concern about creating a "feel-good" work environment.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees more and keep turnover down especially among developers.

reviews filtered by

Burning out the Talent

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite having a bad experience I would still recommend working at Amazon. I can only speak for my experience within my team, not the entire company. Some Pros are: You have the opportunity to invent and not be tied down by too many processes and paperwork. Great internal resources and tools to grow. A lot of talented team members. Fun work environment. Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

I have seen too many full time employees transfer out of a dept or leave the company. All blame work/life balance. There seems to be this "boil the ocean" mentally with leadership. People I know including myself, worked 10-12 hour days and weekends just to keep up with the demand. This was just peaks and valleys based on project phases. This was constant. Its all about driving results with no consideration to the toll it takes on the team.

Advice to Management

Actually more advice for the staff - manage your manager or they will run all over you. During your interviews ask what are the things the team wants to accomplish within a year. If you get a different answer from each interviewer - run. Also try to start at the beginning of the year so you have time to ramp up before next year planning begins in the second half of the year. And most importantly, your performance reviews are usually based on your performance in Q3 and Q4.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very challenging, they constantly push you to do you best.

Cons

Tendency to overwork their employees, employee retention is not very high.

Advice to Management

Clearly state what could be done better, don't be so ambiguous.