There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Fast paced, high stress, high pay, but tough on the family

Current Employee - Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are very good for management. You can also get promoted faster than just about anywhere else. You are judged on your performance, not just who likes/dislikes you.

Cons

Expect 80 hrs/week from mid-Nov through December, 60-70 for another 6 months of the year and 50 for the rest of the year. Micro-management is the standard, not the exception. It takes senior management in each building to make even the smallest changes. It is common for one shift or department to leave another in a bad place in order to make goals/set records.

Advice to Management

Develop leadership skills along with management ones. Allow lower-level managers some freedom to make decisions. Develop teams, let them grow.

Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com

Great pay and benefits but no life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, name brand company. Never a dull moment. Some of the people are really cool to work with. Truly focused on customer experience.

Cons

No work-life balance. People move between departments so often they never master anything. People enter new departments without basic skills. Senior management too concerned with taking credit for subordinates' work. Little respect for each other in the management ranks. Most times we just fought to protect our kingdoms.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect others. Actually listen in conversations.

2. Enlightening and challenging

Current Employee - Content Evaluation Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Content Evaluation Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, casual environment where I feel valued and I feel like my opinion matters. I can talk to anyone about anything. People listen when I point out problems and how to fix them. Everyone is really friendly, I get along with everyone on my team. When I have a question, it's easy to find someone who knows the answer, or who knows the person who does.

Cons

Sometimes I don't feel like my opinion matters enough. The pay could be a bit better. I feel stifled by process sometimes.