Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Interesting and challenging position that leads to a dead end...

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Process Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers who are self-motivated; You can have an enjoyable work environment; Associates have a voice and, if persistent, can affect change; Management is starting to make positive changes in how they interact with Associates; Annual Pay reviews determine increases; Monthly performance bonuses and annual gift of Stock options;

Cons

Co-workers who are no longer self-motivated and not held accountable; Manager rotation requires you to constantly train new Managers; Continuous improvement is actually just Continuous Change as new Managers implement old solutions; Changes to processes and/or standards are poorly communicated or ignored; Annual Pay reviews are based on Local averages and do not factor Cost of Living; Managers do not have the time to develop Associates for the next level; Management turn-over (resignation) is high;

We are struggling to fill and keep leaders due to the failure of preparing our direct reports for advancement; Favoritism due to performance in specific task(s) inhibits the development of Associates and the company; Do not sacrifice the Safety, Quality or Productivity of the internal customer in pursuit of your departments goals; Please change how you interact with each other; Do not assume Push Back is only because others do not understand your idea;

3960 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

sde intern

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

around very smart people
    great opportunity

Cons

amazon is sometimes stingy with equipment ie. monitors

Work hard, party hard

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is objective, unemotional and focussed. For a certain type of old-school mathematician nerd (not the new-age script-kiddies), this can be a good thing. There are no company wide memos on "culture" or "grand visions". Everything you do has an objective, and a measurable, well-defined outcome. You know why you're doing something and that helps you make decisions faster, easier and more efficiently.

The company is growing, aggressive and I believe the only company able to withstand Apple. The company genuinely cares about customers - that's not rhetoric. You can find an Amazon engineer at 3:00am in the morning, shake them out of deep sleep, drug them and ask them why a certain decision was made. Whether they're on-guard or off-guard, the answer won't change. If something impacts customers in a positive way, it will be done.

Cons

The above pro can become a minor con since there is little to non-existent romanticism about any type of work. The biggest con is facilities - I came from a company with lots of facilities, on-campus laundry, etc., so I was used to convenient parking and a lot of campus-wide services which was a mild annoyance to me for a few months. The hours aren't quite flexible, so it gets difficult to manage your time if you have to visit other businesses during business hours only.

I like to attend meetings during the day while doing other stuff like groceries, etc. during the day, and then spend a coding session at night where I am undisturbed. Fixed business hours for developers is a pain - sometimes you get stuck in something and just sit there staring at the screen, because you get criticized if you're not present during core hours.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com