Work hard, have fun, make history...empahsis on Work Hard

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation is good, the working environment is excellent, and you are surrounded by motivated, intelligent people.

Cons

The commute can be a pain if you don't like in SLU. Long hours and extreme productivity are always expected but there is nothing wrong with that and part of the reason the company is so successful.

Advice to Management

There are dogs all over the campus. How about kids? On site day care would be a huge benefit to your employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

sde intern

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

around very smart people
    great opportunity

Cons

amazon is sometimes stingy with equipment ie. monitors

Work hard, party hard

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is objective, unemotional and focussed. For a certain type of old-school mathematician nerd (not the new-age script-kiddies), this can be a good thing. There are no company wide memos on "culture" or "grand visions". Everything you do has an objective, and a measurable, well-defined outcome. You know why you're doing something and that helps you make decisions faster, easier and more efficiently.

The company is growing, aggressive and I believe the only company able to withstand Apple. The company genuinely cares about customers - that's not rhetoric. You can find an Amazon engineer at 3:00am in the morning, shake them out of deep sleep, drug them and ask them why a certain decision was made. Whether they're on-guard or off-guard, the answer won't change. If something impacts customers in a positive way, it will be done.

Cons

The above pro can become a minor con since there is little to non-existent romanticism about any type of work. The biggest con is facilities - I came from a company with lots of facilities, on-campus laundry, etc., so I was used to convenient parking and a lot of campus-wide services which was a mild annoyance to me for a few months. The hours aren't quite flexible, so it gets difficult to manage your time if you have to visit other businesses during business hours only.

Advice to Management

I like to attend meetings during the day while doing other stuff like groceries, etc. during the day, and then spend a coding session at night where I am undisturbed. Fixed business hours for developers is a pain - sometimes you get stuck in something and just sit there staring at the screen, because you get criticized if you're not present during core hours.