Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Good experience in general

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSmart people, cool problems, bottom-up decision-making

If you are young and aggressive, this is a place you can make real difference. Just make sure you get into a good team with a good manager.

ConsMost Devs have to spend a significant amount of time in operation and supportive work, which can be a big distraction sometimes.

The operation mentality gets in the way of innovation too. Some managers are so afraid of making mistakes or causing customer complains, that they'd rather take mediocre baby steps rather than addressing the root causes. The company has a slogan: Amazon does not believe in Big Bang, which is totally understandable, but this is sometimes used as excuses for taking short cuts, making safe bets, and rewarding mediocre.

If Amazon pays so much attention to operation, you'd imagine that they would put much focus on QA, but ironically, QAs virtually do not exist at Amazon. The end result is that many Devs spend so much time fighting with the legacy system rather than building the new ones. I simply cannot understand the rationality of hiring top-notch Devs to push buttons, handling customer requests, and trivial bug fixes with over 6-digit salaries. Sure, any SDE job would come with a list of not-so-interesting tasks, but I haven't felt so mundane at my previous jobs, so I don't know.

Finally, the immigration service at Amazon is horrible. That only costs you a few thousand dollars, which is a tiny fraction of a SDE salary and your operation cost. Why don't you fix it so your International employees can spend less time worry about their GC and spend more time working for you?

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more middle level managers, and try to reward the good ones.

Software Development Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: Salary well above industry average. I also find agile development… Cons: From the start, the recruiting process is deceitful. I was approached by the recruiter. I told her I am only interested if I could be… Advice to Senior Management: Understand who you are hiring. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Exciting and dynamic group of smart people working on the next gen big things

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Technology obsessed smart people around you. Strong and visionary leadership team Lots… Cons: Very few perks, unstructured in terms of HR. Very long working… Advice to Senior Management: Employees need some more fun than just exciting work! – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!