There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Interesting products, good location, not many perks

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was working in a AWS team and the product that my team was working on is new and exciting. Amazon is at the forefront on the cloud computing area. For the short time I was there, I felt I was contributing to the product. Team was small, decent work-life balance (people would finish working at around 7pm, sometimes people would leave earlier).
Location was good, I could live downtown Seattle and bike to work. Lockers and bike cages are available for biking to work

Cons

None of the perks of the normal Internet companies. A lot of options for lunch in the areas around the campus, even if a bit expensive sometimes.

3516 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Former SDE Intern at Amazon

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Some of the biggest pros:

1) Streamlined development culture across the company.
    2) Very supportive team mates who helped constantly raise the bar by asking the right questions and putting the foot down at the right time.
    3) Lot of opportunities to learn by way of tech talks and stuff.
    4) Open policy for interns to move to teams of their choice.
    5) Strictly enforced code review process
    6) Good pay

Cons

Some of the minor downsides:

1) It takes a ton of meetings to reach consensus on something. Sometimes, with a lot of digression and emphasis on minor details.
    2) No freebies

Not in the league to advice upper management yet.

Physical torture

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get paid every two weeks.

Cons

Management treats associates like they are ignorant. They gave unrealistic expectations to meet pick and pack rates. Order pickers have a path that is determined by Amazons computer system. Associates have NO control over this path yet we are judged by it. Management even states that pick paths are poor yet when the weekly review paperwork arrives this fact is forgotten and we are to blame for any shortfall.
    Packers are rated by units per hour without regard to events that slow them down beyond their control - how insulting.
    Management ignores feedback and moves forward with a deaf ear to reality. Regular unannounced mandatory overtime without regard to associates physical weariness is comon. More people need to be hired to address the workload but there are only so many people available in a geographic area. Eventually they will run out of people who will put up with the abuse. Opportunity to train new employees by current employees results in most of them goofing off and not working.

Listen to your associates. We are smarter than you realize. If you don't believe we are working follow us if you can keep up.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!