There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

great place to work

Current Employee - SDEI  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - SDEI in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly smart people and good management depending on team

Cons

on call will take a chunk out of work/life balance

3510 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Work hard, party hard

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is objective, unemotional and focussed. For a certain type of old-school mathematician nerd (not the new-age script-kiddies), this can be a good thing. There are no company wide memos on "culture" or "grand visions". Everything you do has an objective, and a measurable, well-defined outcome. You know why you're doing something and that helps you make decisions faster, easier and more efficiently.

The company is growing, aggressive and I believe the only company able to withstand Apple. The company genuinely cares about customers - that's not rhetoric. You can find an Amazon engineer at 3:00am in the morning, shake them out of deep sleep, drug them and ask them why a certain decision was made. Whether they're on-guard or off-guard, the answer won't change. If something impacts customers in a positive way, it will be done.

Cons

The above pro can become a minor con since there is little to non-existent romanticism about any type of work. The biggest con is facilities - I came from a company with lots of facilities, on-campus laundry, etc., so I was used to convenient parking and a lot of campus-wide services which was a mild annoyance to me for a few months. The hours aren't quite flexible, so it gets difficult to manage your time if you have to visit other businesses during business hours only.

I like to attend meetings during the day while doing other stuff like groceries, etc. during the day, and then spend a coding session at night where I am undisturbed. Fixed business hours for developers is a pain - sometimes you get stuck in something and just sit there staring at the screen, because you get criticized if you're not present during core hours.

Love their associates! Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Grand Forks, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Forks, ND

I have been working at Amazon.com part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great, friendly, relaxed environment. Excellent benefits

Cons

Can become repetitive dealing with customers

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!