There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Meet Customer need - NOW!

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coming from MSFT as a Program Manager, I find Amazon's focus on the customer to be an amazing and generally fulfilling experience. - Generally work / life balance is OK, with peaks and valleys (peaks near launch obviously). - Salary is better than I had before, so no complaints - Health is OK (though I had Premiera @ MSFT, so hard to compete w/that) - Stock is good - for now.

Cons

- Commute is OK if bus, poor if driving (I live on the East side). I do miss the Connector & its WIFI, though I get by with tethering to my phone - Overall compensation system is confusing -> if I do really well one year I may not get that much @ review time in stock b/c AMZN looks at the overall compensation w/your existing grants included..? - Promotion model seems to require 100% approval from everyone who can comment (including folks that did not work w/the person).

Advice to Management

1. seriously consider adjusting the review compensation model -> it's a bit deflating to see an EXCEEDS & strong growth and then get told you don't get much in stock b/c you negotiated a great package up front. Not very motivating to work hard if I'm not going to see much of anything. 2. for SEA workers, consider investing in the PRIME card as MSFT has. when I get to spend time w/my family, having that card is a great way to save money && enjoy a lot of different activities all at the same time.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Thoughts from a freelancer in their photostudios

Current Contractor - Makeup Hair in Hebron, KY
    Current Contractor - Makeup Hair in Hebron, KY

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon has come a long way from the first days of shooting product. Frugality is the name of the game.

Cons

Hardcore work environment with no comforts. A rubber pad to stand on (cement floors) not enough space to set up your tools. Etc.

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan. I feel like everytime you come in to work it has all changed. From art directors vision to how we shoot a certain product to work flow. Tons of wasted money from this .....

Product Manager

Former Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steep learning curve. You will get a chance to influence products that are being used by millions. Experience looks good on your resume.

Cons

I would not recommend MBA's to join Amazon. There are a few roles out there which offer good experience but overall I would say 75% chances are that you will get disappointed with your experience. Talk to your colleagues (software and product) before taking up an offer. The company is very political in director level and up. Contrary to what some say, I have experience it first hand. Smart people in the company are typically not good manager and still get promoted.

Advice to Management

Company is growing, pay attention to the cultural shift. It will to too late to change otherwise. Folks come here to work on the cool products but not for the company.