There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Innovative and fun company to work for

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay very well with good benefits
Allow for creativity. Anyone who has a good idea is told to go try it, if it works it's implemented throughout the company

Cons

Always changing environment. While this can be a good thing to avoid totally monotonous work, it's kind of demoralizing how things change as soon as you get good at it.
Tough work-life balance, especially during peak time

Advice to Management

I worked as a lower level manager, but upper management was very up front with reviews and accessible. I didn't have any issues with the upper management team

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fast-paced, Customer-centric, but the workday never ends

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Restricted Stock bonuses are very good (as long as the stock continues to appreciate.)
    Smart, highly motivated people -- similar to B-School.
    A wealth of opportunities.

Cons

The workday never ends - It was not uncommon to receive e-mails late into the night with requests to deliver something by the next morning. If it's a weekend, you're on vacation, maternity/paternity leave, Thanksgiving, etc. it doesn't matter. You're still expected to respond immediately. There is no respect for your personal life. The attitude is, 'why would our customers care about your personal life?'

Inconsistent management - approx. half of the managers are very good; the other half were promoted too quickly and have no people management skills. Stifling micro-managers can deflate the morale of a group, but as long as they get results, they're viewed as a success.
    Unfortunately, this leads to high turnover rates and results in even worse work/life balance.

I have an MBA from a top-5 school (as many of my co-workers did.) I would encourage MBAs to evaluate opportunities at Amazon vs. Consulting or Banking rather than corporate jobs because your tenure and work/life balance will be more comparable to the former rather than the latter.

Advice to Management

Reward and/or promote managers who get the right results without burning out the team.
    Provide management training so managers learn that communication is about more than sending out 100+ emails per day. Communication involves listening, understanding, and responding to employees.

Great company with extremely bright people

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon has a high hiring bar with competitive compensation and bonuses, and therefore bright people you can learn a lot from about new cutting edge and large scale technologies.

Cons

Benefits are at ok level, and you can expect to be doing multiple types of activities during your tenure there - beginning with requirements definition, and finishing with operations support and being on pager duty.

Advice to Management

I wish the technical side of the company was more structured into Operations support, development, QA.