There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Work hard, have no fun

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, company is growing, lot of opportunity if you can connect with right folks.
City of Seattle is beautiful (more on it below)

Cons

At Amazon, there's no balance between work and family life, working hours are very long, you will have no time for yourself or friends and family.
For newcomers, it is a complete sink/swim scenario, managers do not care for their employees, you have to watch for your back. People are unfriendly, you will be doing tons of things right, but one wrong thing and you will be criticized openly in front of your seniors and peers. Lot of politics at the higher level, top cares about themselves and to save their interests they do not hesitate to sacrifice the employees, games are played at employees expense. The annual review process favors old timers and well connected.
Company is full of ‘A’ type robotic employees, they are very high on the company Kool-aid. You will work hard but it will not be fun. There are lot of product and project managers but not enough engineers to do the work. If you can master the game of passing bucks, you will do well.
City of Seattle is beautiful only for 1-2 months, rest of the year, it is cloudy (low hanging grey clouds), rainy and cold. It can get depressing without sun shine for a long time.

Attracting smart people as employees is good thing, make sure that they can stick around, welcome them and help them assimilate in the company culture, employees are assets, treat them well.

3498 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Growing company, not perfect

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Industry leader
    Long term vision
    Great in execution

Cons

Work life balance
    Getting big
    Pay and benefits

Pay more attention to people.

Decent place to work

Former Employee - Ship Clerk  in  Breinigsville, PA
    Former Employee - Ship Clerk in Breinigsville, PA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were great. I met a lot of people that I was happy to work with. Most of the area managers were good people.

Cons

They do not hire real managers. Most of them do not know how to deal with people. It is all data management which for Tier III or lower makes life miserable. We never had the help or people to accomplish what was needed. I personally got very little support from my managers.

Need better communication. One purpose to a chain of command is that messages get passed down to those that need the information. Too often it was last minute information instead of planning and talking to people who need to be in the know. Very disappointed.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!