There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

You will learn a lot... and will be stressed out most of the time.

Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are really smart You learn a ton Generally very fast-paced

Cons

High-pressure environment Long hours Burn-out is likely

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Work hard, have no fun

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, company is growing, lot of opportunity if you can connect with right folks. City of Seattle is beautiful (more on it below)

Cons

At Amazon, there's no balance between work and family life, working hours are very long, you will have no time for yourself or friends and family. For newcomers, it is a complete sink/swim scenario, managers do not care for their employees, you have to watch for your back. People are unfriendly, you will be doing tons of things right, but one wrong thing and you will be criticized openly in front of your seniors and peers. Lot of politics at the higher level, top cares about themselves and to save their interests they do not hesitate to sacrifice the employees, games are played at employees expense. The annual review process favors old timers and well connected. Company is full of ‘A’ type robotic employees, they are very high on the company Kool-aid. You will work hard but it will not be fun. There are lot of product and project managers but not enough engineers to do the work. If you can master the game of passing bucks, you will do well. City of Seattle is beautiful only for 1-2 months, rest of the year, it is cloudy (low hanging grey clouds), rainy and cold. It can get depressing without sun shine for a long time.

Advice to Management

Attracting smart people as employees is good thing, make sure that they can stick around, welcome them and help them assimilate in the company culture, employees are assets, treat them well.

Boring

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, talented & fun coworkers, flexible hours, work from home, wide selection of food trucks at lunch time

Cons

This was a developer position, and I barely got the opportunity to program, and when I did it was mind numbingly trivial. I worked in Retail Systems, and they are mostly bogged down in trouble tickets and constant feature requests from the business side, leaving little time to actually develop software. Furthermore, the paranoia about losing money leads to aversion toward software change, which means the code-base is a monstrous pile of incremental changes accumulated over the years. Almost no documentation, and I frequently would hear sentiments that documentation or comments would be a hindrance-- since that would mean having to maintain the documentation or comments in parallel with the code (this might have just been a cultural aspect of my team). There seems to be a revolving door for young developers, as well as people jumping around from team to team, so teams' know-how deteriorates to the point where there are large portions of code that no one is familiar with. And yet, you have to support that code when you are on-call. If you aren't familiar with on-call, it means getting paged at any time of day when there are problems with the software. You might be thrown into a scenario where you are responsible for Amazon ordering being down, and the problem lies in your team's software, but you aren't familiar with that part of the code. You will probably just have to relay this to your team members-- which is fine-- but needless to say it is stressful. I was promised to eventually get the chance to do some real software development, but perhaps not for a year or more. If you are in it for the long haul, maybe it could be okay. I didn't care about the money, and it didn't make it worth letting my career stagnate for 2-3 years waiting until I was senior enough to do maybe have the chance to do some real work.

Advice to Management

Slow down feature requests, and realize that technical debt and software cruft are a serious detriment to the companies future, and drives away talent who would prefer to design and innovate in a way which would secure a better future for the company. Treat your employees better-- the "customer obsession" and "frugality" mantras alienate employees to the point where they feel like customers come before them.