There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

If you want to have a life outside of work, look the other way.

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Gouldsboro, PA
Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Gouldsboro, PA

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that the facility has a set schedule 99% of the time. Cheap benefits that people can afford.

Cons

No job security.. If they do not like you, they will not promote you. They promote people who are not with the company for a long period of time. The pay is horrible for the type of work you do. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

The fulfilllment center is disgusting. Nothing is clean. Food products are in bins next to soap products and or pet food. How is that sanitary??

There is no motivation whatsoever for employees to do their job. Promotions are not based on how long you've been there, it's based on an attendance point system.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to look in the mirror. Are you satisifed with the pay check that you are getting??/ This company is getting worse by the minute... You guys are collecting a pay check and not earning one. Try getting dirty for once, work with your employees. They are the ones who are making the company operate and meeting the company's goals. Try being a people person. Don't talk down to the employees as if they were a 5 year old. Treat people with respect and you might get some in return.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great and exciting workplace

Current Contractor - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon.com as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Amazon was a treat - every day was an adventure. I felt like being back in high-school... You share the office with smart and funny people who take their work very seriously but have absolutely no problem goofing about. Love the fact that people can bring dogs to work.

Cons

Hard to get your foot in the door...

Boring

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, talented & fun coworkers, flexible hours, work from home, wide selection of food trucks at lunch time

Cons

This was a developer position, and I barely got the opportunity to program, and when I did it was mind numbingly trivial. I worked in Retail Systems, and they are mostly bogged down in trouble tickets and constant feature requests from the business side, leaving little time to actually develop software. Furthermore, the paranoia about losing money leads to aversion toward software change, which means the code-base is a monstrous pile of incremental changes accumulated over the years. Almost no documentation, and I frequently would hear sentiments that documentation or comments would be a hindrance-- since that would mean having to maintain the documentation or comments in parallel with the code (this might have just been a cultural aspect of my team). There seems to be a revolving door for young developers, as well as people jumping around from team to team, so teams' know-how deteriorates to the point where there are large portions of code that no one is familiar with. And yet, you have to support that code when you are on-call. If you aren't familiar with on-call, it means getting paged at any time of day when there are problems with the software. You might be thrown into a scenario where you are responsible for Amazon ordering being down, and the problem lies in your team's software, but you aren't familiar with that part of the code. You will probably just have to relay this to your team members-- which is fine-- but needless to say it is stressful.

I was promised to eventually get the chance to do some real software development, but perhaps not for a year or more. If you are in it for the long haul, maybe it could be okay. I didn't care about the money, and it didn't make it worth letting my career stagnate for 2-3 years waiting until I was senior enough to do maybe have the chance to do some real work.

Advice to Management

Slow down feature requests, and realize that technical debt and software cruft are a serious detriment to the companies future, and drives away talent who would prefer to design and innovate in a way which would secure a better future for the company. Treat your employees better-- the "customer obsession" and "frugality" mantras alienate employees to the point where they feel like customers come before them.